Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 86
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
ronnie85
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Deposit down on a 996 gt3 - couple of questions! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but I've had a couple of 911s over the last few years. A 996 C4S and most recently (and soon to be for sale) a 997 C2S.

I've just put down a deposit on one of my dream cars - a 996 GT3 mk2.

A couple of questions - Its currently got the bucket seats in which I found very upright. The garage has agreed to fit sports seats (hence the wanted ad) and just wanted to check this was doable. Does a car fitted with buckets have the electrical connectors?

Alternatively can the bucket seats be tilted backward slightly? perhaps by raising the mounting? I don't know if anyone else has wanted to do this or whether its even possible...

thanks in advance!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ronnie85
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be keeping the buckets either way obviously for resale in future.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cunno
Indianapolis


Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 2253
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t know about the electrics, but there will be after market bracket available try FVD, Design 911, Tarett Engineering or Rennline all will have an offering.
_________________
Porsche is for driving not for washing.
Present Car: 2006 3.6 Porsche GT3 997(White)
Ex: 2006 3.4 Porsche Cayman S (Silver)
Ex: 2001 2.7 Porsche Boxster (Seal Grey)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ronnie85
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news, ok thanks I'll take a look
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Senoj
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 5128
Location: Sussex


PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to the buckets? Its a large part of what the car is all about. The minute you get some G force on the thing youll be sitting on the door pulls without them Floor


Either way don’t leave the buckets with the dealer, they ain’t cheap to replace.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ronnie85
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no definitely wont, will keep in case I do any track days etc. But this'll be my only car so I think they'll annoy me after a while. Will see!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Disco
Estoril


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3882
Location: Hertfordshire

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie85 wrote:
no definitely wont, will keep in case I do any track days etc. But this'll be my only car so I think they'll annoy me after a while. Will see!


Give it a try first. I ran a 996 GT3 with buckets as my only car for about 5.5 years (its replacement obviously also has buckets, but it isn't an only car any more) - it is a small adjustment initially but it doesn't take long before I reached the point where I'd choose them over just about anything else. They are also the most comfortable bucket seat that I've ever sat in, and Eurotunnel to Nurburg non-stop is not at all unpleasant. Even my mother is a fan, though being of a certain age she benefits from a bit of help getting in and out of them.

Live with it for a bit, then make a decision later. Thumb
_________________
Colin

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HSC911
Zolder


Joined: 23 Jul 2014
Posts: 5514
Location: Bedford


PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Deposit down on a 996 gt3 - couple of questions! Reply with quote

ronnie85 wrote:
I've just put down a deposit on one of my dream cars - a 996 GT3 mk2


Do tell food food

Grin

I put a bucket seat in my car, they are great Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FRP
Barcelona


Joined: 30 Apr 2014
Posts: 1409
Location: Middlesex


PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run buckets on my daily and have no complaints. Give them a try
_________________
2002 996tt x50 manual in bassat black - 9eXX
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
apollokre1d
Sepang


Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 2783
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the buckets in mine and actually find them more
comfortable than the sports seats.
_________________
Black 997 9e Turbo Manual
Black 997 C4S Manual - Sold
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 368



PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried the sports seats, but I found the standard, electric adjust seats in the 996 turbo are extremely comfortable on long road trips.

Buckets really do suit the GT3 though and IMHO once you are on track, both the standard or sports seats will be poor, plus you sit higher (can cause a lack of headroom with a crash helmet on) and I'd not think you'd be wanting to switch and swap seats - the electric ones are very heavy.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
hopeydaze
Silverstone


Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Wargrave, Berkshire, UK


PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggermeister wrote:
Not tried the sports seats, but I found the standard, electric adjust seats in the 996 turbo are extremely comfortable on long road trips.

Buckets really do suit the GT3 though and IMHO once you are on track, both the standard or sports seats will be poor, plus you sit higher (can cause a lack of headroom with a crash helmet on) and I'd not think you'd be wanting to switch and swap seats - the electric ones are very heavy.

I recommend you try the bucket seats for a few weeks before changing them. There’s a technique to get into them easily- I was told it’s arse first at a 90degree angle.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
mar1b0ro
Newbie


Joined: 16 Oct 2017
Posts: 7



PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopeydaze wrote:
Diggermeister wrote:
Not tried the sports seats, but I found the standard, electric adjust seats in the 996 turbo are extremely comfortable on long road trips.

Buckets really do suit the GT3 though and IMHO once you are on track, both the standard or sports seats will be poor, plus you sit higher (can cause a lack of headroom with a crash helmet on) and I'd not think you'd be wanting to switch and swap seats - the electric ones are very heavy.

I recommend you try the bucket seats for a few weeks before changing them. There’s a technique to get into them easily- I was told it’s arse first at a 90degree angle.


really friggin annoying though when you are in a rush and forget that you have bucket seats and you just try and slide into the car like you would with a normal seat and your ass bounces up off the side bolster and smacks your ear/head into the side of the roof....
_________________
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Daniel
Donnington
Donnington


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 11971
Location: Not where I want to be!

2000 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try having a front cage too. Wave

Just to echo what everyone has said, try them first.

you'll be shocked how comfy they are.

Pictures/details of the new car too please.... wack puh
_________________
*Current - GT3 996.1 Clubsport (Manthey K400)

EX VR993 - C4
EX 993 - C2
EX GT3 996.1
EX Cayman 3.4 S 987.1
EX Megane R26R #36.
EX Cayman R
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Fast Bug
Monza


Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 216



PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the buckets, they're surprisingly comfortable!

Daniel wrote:
Try having a front cage too. Wave


Being 12 foot tall doesn't help you Mr. Green
_________________
1999 996 C2 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slippydiff
Monza


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 213



PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all the comments here. Yes they do feel too upright initially, but bear with them, and as others have said, you’ll acclimatise to them.
Under no circumstances would I fit the Comfort armchairs.... it massively dilutes the driving experience, and once you’ve found the right position for the buckets, they are indeed amongst THE most comfortable buckets you’ll sit in.
If you’re struggling with the rake on the seat after a few weeks, you could drill the side mounts to allow a bit more rake, or fit the lowered Krey Brause items and drill them (rather than “ruining” the OE items.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slippydiff
Monza


Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 213



PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and congratulations on your purchase !! they’re
truly wonderful cars !! Mr. Green
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
dancole3
Newbie


Joined: 27 Jul 2018
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those buckets are comfortable. wonderful cars also
_________________
current 90 Porsche 964 CSR
ex 993 carrera cab
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ronnie85
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
ronnie85 wrote:
no definitely wont, will keep in case I do any track days etc. But this'll be my only car so I think they'll annoy me after a while. Will see!


Give it a try first. I ran a 996 GT3 with buckets as my only car for about 5.5 years (its replacement obviously also has buckets, but it isn't an only car any more) - it is a small adjustment initially but it doesn't take long before I reached the point where I'd choose them over just about anything else. They are also the most comfortable bucket seat that I've ever sat in, and Eurotunnel to Nurburg non-stop is not at all unpleasant. Even my mother is a fan, though being of a certain age she benefits from a bit of help getting in and out of them.

Live with it for a bit, then make a decision later. Thumb


I did find them comfy but just very upright, maybe I'll try some new mounts as people said. but having said that, there was a gap between the seat and the lower back. I normally have the lumbar sticking right out in the 997 as I find this the most comfortable - love the 997 sports seats, really comfy so think I'll miss them, but being a GT3 obviously worth losing some comfort!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ronnie85
Newbie


Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Deposit down on a 996 gt3 - couple of questions! Reply with quote

HSC911 wrote:
ronnie85 wrote:
I've just put down a deposit on one of my dream cars - a 996 GT3 mk2


Do tell food food

Grin

I put a bucket seat in my car, they are great Thumb


its the ashgood silver mk2. thumbsup
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum