Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant pipe broken help and advice needed please

Kbald

Monza
Hi all just did an oil and filter change snd managed to snap a coolant pipe.

The fill tube had come away from the pipe so i was trying to reattach it and a thin coolant hose next to it broke sending coolant spraying out all over the place. The bit thats broke is a connector right next to the oil fill pipe. Does anyone have any idea what the part is? Is it easy to replace and would it just be a case of retopping up the coolant once its repaired? Thanks in advance. Also i assume its not worth trying to start the engine with this bit not connected?

No problem here we go.

Attachments

• img_20180722_151024_167.jpg
    img_20180722_151024_167.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 2,842
Thanks demort spot on again! Looks like its quite a common issue now i know what it is. Also not as much of an issue as i first suspected.

Found some suggestions to replace with a brass hose clamp to avoid it breaking again. Found his write up on another forum https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/873843-stupid-cooling-part.html

Also lost the clip as it shot off into the engine bay so will need one of those too!

I can Guarentee i have broken more of those pipes than you have !!!

Only hard part is digging out the old broken bit of pipe ..

They break as age has made them brittle .

I bet you have! Rubbish design! Atleast its a simple fix gave me a scare when it happened though!

Progress got an 8mm straight hose connector and some hose clamps and repaired the coolant hose which should now be a million times more sturdy than the old plastic one and cable tied it to the bolt. The duct tape on the oil filler was just temporary so I could get some oil in. I used some flexible super glue to stick the tube back together and then wrapped some self amalgamating tape round it. Have ordered a 4 inch silicone turbo hoae to go over this and will clamp it at both ends so should be better than new and last as well. Topped up the coolant with some prestone and bled it through. Put some pics below if anyone is interested in the repairs.

Attachments

• img_20180728_164626_407.jpg
    img_20180728_164626_407.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,575
  • img_20180728_164229_282.jpg
    img_20180728_164229_282.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,575
Thanks I'm the same love a good repair / project thread with pics. Doing all this also gave me a chance to get the belt off and check the pulleys etc which were all fine. Water pump had no movement and spun freely and the belt was fine too so all good! Sanded and buffed the headlights today too so another job ticked off the list.

Good work Kbald.

As is often the way when working on these cars, you fix one thing and encounter a problem on something else. Only way to sort it is to get stuck in.

Much more rewarding than just taking it to a garage though. Well done. :thumb:

My one of these also snapped like a dry twig when I was working on the car. I've seen a metal version of that pipe connector available in the US, but it's not sold over here, so I fitted the Porsche part, but no doubt it will snap again when I next need to pull the pipes off it.

Thanks marky911 all quite simple in the end thankfully. Ive been reading your thread too excellent work :thumb:

Martin996 i saw those metal ones too which is a much better design and idea. The 8mm hose connector is metal so will achieve the same thing for £2. I was going to mod the original bracket and glue the hose connector into it to keep it oem looking but didnt get chance to fettle it but it would be pretty easy to do. When yours snaps again, as i suspect they all would, could be an idea to do that maybe.

Put the silicon hose on and clamped it down. Probably a bit overkill but certainly won't brake again!

Attachments

• img_20180804_170540_127.jpg
    img_20180804_170540_127.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,257
Im nothing if not honest .. which i expect people here hate !

Its not the breaking thats the problem .. its air leaks .

Similar to removeing the oil filler cap whilst its running .. you will notice a change in the car .. often end up with an eml illuminated .

Ive seen over size shrink wrap which do seal these .. talk to Jamesx19 for where to get it .. ive seen his has been done .

If it seals then fine .. keep the silicone hose .. but if it doesnt the car will have to try and compensate for a weak mixture .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reesy
Back