Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a Porsche 997.2 turbo PDK

Addo

Trainee
Hello,

I want to purchase a 997.2 turbo in the next few weeks and wanted some general advice, any known faults to look for and any tips?

I have a 2001 996 turbo tiptrontic to part ex or sell on here if anyone is interested pm me? It has 70k,seal grey, leather, psm and GT3 6 pots etc and in great condition and maintained to the highest std regardless of cost, offers over £30k.

The 997.2 would be a garage car to use the weekend and possible odd track day, probably take to a few events and cover 5k a year. I have seen some nice ones around £62k-£67k. preference is Black interior and carbon interior.

But would it be best to buy a fully loaded carbon specced inc buckets ceramic discs with 72k or a lower milage standard one with 30k?

I Was thinking get the lower milage then try and upgrade but he seats are 10k...

Welcome any feedback.

The 997.2 Turbo is as safe a bet as any 911 with only the usual things to check as you would have done on your 996T.

If the carbon bits etc are important to you you'd be far better off buying a car that's already got them on as it would be much cheaper than upgrading your own. That said, I wouldn't pass on a standard car if everything else was right. You can at least then spread the cost of the mods over time.

If you're planning on doing 5k miles a year I'd start with as low a mileage car as you can and certainly not one with 70k+ already on it.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback, it is strange when i wasn't looking i seen a few with the spec i wanted, trouble with the 72k milage car is what it would be worth with at 90k on it circa £50 i suppose?

You right about spreading the costs over time with mods as well.

Does the PDK gearbox boxes have any problems? even if it was launched a lot in a past life?

+1 on buying a car with carbon bits already in if it's important to your spec. They are eye wateringly expensive to add later. Even DBcarbon etc are still big money for a full interior carbon trim. I've seen the cost for OEM bits replaced on warranty and it's nuts.

997turbo will be better at holding its cash than most so worth stretching the man maths for the right car :thumb:

Would think yours is better to sell private if you can, offers might be a bit lower than they should be from the trade :?:

Fully understand about specs you would buy when not looking. That seems to always the case. I have only seen 2 close the spec I wanted available in the last 3 years ! But that was colour/pdk/carbon dependant. And I bought 1 of them.

Having done what your looking to do (997.2 Turbo Hunt), I'd say buy the car you want, ie the spec. Everything costs a fortune to change after the fact, apart from belt colours maybe.

I snapped up a low mileage one from IOM, 8,000miles. Cost me a bit more, but worth knowing the car had only been driven around the island by an old boy who traded in for a McLaren.

Within the deal, had the 111 check done, major service, borescope (I know, paranoia!) and put back into OPC Warranty. Ceramic Paint protection, new tyres all round. They repainted the whole back end (stone chips on rear arches, but didn't want to break the paint on a panel, and found a chip on rear bumper.)

So basically got what I wanted, all sorted etc, within the deal.

For many reasons, I've not gelled with it, nor is it a 'good fit' for me, so I'll probably sell it towards end of summer. 10,400miles.

I'll obviouly be looking for someone as picky as me. That wants a car within warranty, serviced entirely by OPC etc.

But I'd still go about it the same way, what you need to consider, like others have said, you unlikely lose money on one at the moment, so you may be able to stretch to both your ideals. I don't know if Clysdale Bank are still doing car finance, but they sorted me a right deal last year, which basically put me in this car instead of a C2S I was originally looking for! It's what it costs to own over the term, not what you see going out. This will have cost me the interest on finance, a few quid on fees, and the maintenance which so far has been zero with the warranty. It's cost less than the wife's car to run!

So, try get what's important to you on the car, as mods will only cost much more, and you'll probably lose motivation to do it once it's on the drive.

Guys thanks for the feedback, you are right the extra's cost a fortune..

I have decided to advertise my 996 turbo on e-bay until next weekend and then if i don't get any luck i will part ex;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223071286842?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

on another note i have seen one for sale without Chrono pack, is it correct a Porsche dealer can install in the UK and you get all the functions you would; Sports/Sport plus/launch control/PCM functions just without the clock on the dash board? do you know anyone who has completed this as an after market think?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

Sport Chrono can be retro fitted but you don't get the clock (wart as some call it).
PDK box is superb and you need Sport Chrono to get the best from it. There have been one or two problems with boxes but generally they are bullet proof. Any problems tend to be electrical, if it's a box issues then I'm afraid that it's an exchange unit but that's highly unlikely.
Any car you buy you must ensure that the correct servicing has been done, things like plugs MUST be changed every 20k miles, sometimes these are overlooked due to the cost of doing them but it is essential maintenance. Also fluids, brakes and PDK fluid must be changed as well.
I tend to do the oil on mine yearly as opposed to 2 years which the book says.
As for the extra's, I don't think I've seen one with the Carbon seats, your almost up to GT 3 spec by the time you've done all that.
What colour are you after?

Hi,

Thanks for the information on the PDK, it sounds a great box, is it the same as the the 991 turbo PDK with different software or a different gearbox entirely?

I quite like black with black interior but would look at grey too, what colour do you have, fancy a swap with a 996 turbo :D

I believe the gearboxes are the same (hardware) they will probably play about with the software but as mentioned the Sport button transforms the box and the Sport Plus button puts it into Hooligan mode!
I use the Sport button occasionally but most of the time leave it off as it does increase the fuel consumption, more so from the point of view that it causes you to drive it that bit more spirited.
I really can't fault the box at all, after a year of ownership and many thousands of miles I can only praise it. I also have a Touareg with the VW equivalent (DSG) and that's a great driving car as well.

Just read your initial post and you mentioned use on Track Days, I just had mine out at Donington a few weeks ago and I'll not take it on track again, it really showed it's weakness's on a track. I only did a few laps, 7 max and it was a struggle to say the least! I have a Westfield for track days and that's spoilt me for big heavy cars with road brakes and tyres. Plus I was terrified that some young tugger in a Civic/Saxo would spin off and T bone me!

Addo said:
on another note i have seen one for sale without Chrono pack, is it correct a Porsche dealer can install in the UK and you get all the functions you would; Sports/Sport plus/launch control/PCM functions just without the clock on the dash board? do you know anyone who has completed this as an after market think?

Worth noting that the Suncoast link says that it is not compatible with the Gen2 Turbo so I would check with an OPC or Porsche GB that it is possible before committing to a car without the Chrono.

I know it has been done on many Gen 1 Turbos but can not recall any Gen 2s. It may be that the Gen 2s with Chrono come with Dynamic engine mounts and non chronos do not so it makes it a more involved retro fit.

Sports and Sports + are a must IMO for the faster gear changes, traction control adjustment and stiffening of the engine mounts.

maph said:
Addo said:

Worth noting that the Suncoast link says that it is not compatible with the Gen2 Turbo so I would check with an OPC or Porsche GB that it is possible before committing to a car without the Chrono.

I know it has been done on many Gen 1 Turbos but can not recall any Gen 2s. It may be that the Gen 2s with Chrono come with Dynamic engine mounts and non chronos do not so it makes it a more involved retro fit.

Sports and Sports + are a must IMO for the faster gear changes, traction control adjustment and stiffening of the engine mounts.

I think the dynamic engine mounts only come with the 997.2 Turbo S.

Norfolk & Idea, your back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you paid your dues and been allowed back :thumbs:

Good to see you again buddy!

easternjets said:
Norfolk & Idea, your back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you paid your dues and been allowed back :thumbs:

Good to see you again buddy!

Ha ha, yes Nick... I'm a reformed character! Probably :evil:

Hope you're well?

I have a Gen 2 Turbo with Dynamic Engine Mounts and PTV as added options.

Norfolk & Idea said:
maph said:
Addo said:

I think the dynamic engine mounts only come with the 997.2 Turbo S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back