Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Pads Recommendation-------

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Hi all, am looking to change my brake pads on the 997, what pads are recommended ? Like what make pads does porsche use?

Cheers

J

The Porsche ones are Textar pads and Sebro discs.

The rear pads are identical except for the part number and price, the Porsche ones come with Textar on the back, the Textar ones just don't have the Porsche part number.
The front ones from Porsche have the little "ears" that stick up through the calliper which I think are some sort of noise damper, the Textar ones don't have this but none of the aftermarket ones seem to as I have been looking myself. Odd because the rears do. I have these fitted now and don't notice any difference from the previous Porsche ones.

rhino-man said:
The Porsche ones are Textar pads and Sebro discs.

The rear pads are identical except for the part number and price, the Porsche ones come with Textar on the back, the Textar ones just don't have the Porsche part number.
The front ones from Porsche have the little "ears" that stick up through the calliper which I think are some sort of noise damper, the Textar ones don't have this but none of the aftermarket ones seem to as I have been looking myself. Odd because the rears do. I have these fitted now and don't notice any difference from the previous Porsche ones.

Cheers rhino-man :thumb:

I guess Euro Car Parts should stock these... ill check tommorow!!

Cheers

J

I've used the RS4-2 pads in the past, great stopping ability but you will get an increased squeal from them and tend to take a while to work at their optimum as they require a little heat tbh unless you're tracking I'd probably say they're not required.

weebz said:
increased squeal
Out of interest did you have shims fitted with them?

I've read both squeal and no squeal threads tbh. Most seem to say squeal at low speed but many don't have any shims fitted.

The shims do very little to eliminate the squeal, you need to bed them in properly, which means getting them hot, very hot, once complete you will get next to no squeal.

I currently run RS29's with no shims and I get zero squeal.

For road use you will not need anything above the Pagid Blue, RS42, which are superior than standard pads in that they give better feel and stopping power once hot, at the expensive of having less feel and friction when cold.

Horses for courses, for fast road and/or occasional track I find Pagid Blue are perfect, if you rarely push on, save your money and buy standard.

Big difference between Brembo at £75 and 'Original Porsche' at £218 :eek:

If going standard, Brembo & Textar from EuroCarParts are up to/same as OEM Porsche quality, without the Porsche tax.

They are £120 on eurocarparts for Brembo rears, and Brembo's aren't available for the front (C2S) but they do have Pagid at £87

Are the wear sensors reusable or do they need replacing with each set of pads?

Try Carparts4less, its Euro's sister site and costs are generally less.

Where I use sensors, I usually replace them, they tend to break when your removing them which then leaves you without them to hand, for the reduction in agro I swallow the circa £16 up front you can always return them.

If your going to use A/V shims you can try and use your existing ones, however they may be to far gone, only time will tell. - If it were me and your doing the work yourself, I would buy them and again if not needed return, its less agro and means your only visiting the job once.

I just had an email from gsfcarparts.com about their 59% sale

They list Brembo rear discs meaning 2 is £90 - sounds like a bargain. But, it's out of stock and 'won't be returning to stock' so their alternative is 'Premium' brand for £106 a pair. Do we trust 'Premium'?

However the wear indicator for the rear is £43 from gsf, and design911 'OEM Brand' is £10

Strange how prices vary so wildly for these cars

First ever post, I may be a bit late to the party on this question but I just changed my 997.1 2S rears and fitted it all myself. Went well, having been a motorcycle mechanic in the past helped.

Bought all the parts from Euro Car Parts at the end of July as they had a huge discount on (circa 45%) and was cheaper than their sister site.

Pagid Discs
Brembo Pads
Pagid Wear Sensors
Pagid Pins, Clips and Retainers
H-Tech Anti Vibration Dampers x 8

Everything that came off went in the bin and replaced with new. £250 for all of it which I thought was brilliant. At the time of ordering Euro Car Parts only stated it needed 4 x 28mm Dampers but their site now lists the 30mm version too. Thankfully I had researched a bit before taking it all apart with regards to the 2 sizes of dampers.

Driven a couple of hundred miles since and very smooth (old discs were corroded on the insides badly) and better feel from it.

Now I want shiny new fronts although not yet required.

If you're not going mad, then stick with OEM, but it's worth checking that your lines and calipers are OK (the pistons aren't sticking) and that you have fresh fluid.

You can run the best parts in the world but it'll feel like a peat marsh under foot if you have old fluid in there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back