Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 exhaust problem

996mike

Hi I have a c2 996.1 with its original exhaust it has begun to blow
Indy said split seems needs a new system asked if he could weld but said could not be done but could get me a shiny new SS exhaust for £1200.

I want to keep her original so thank him and kept driving.

Well last weekend she went from a great sound to a epic roar
Had a look and attached a photo there is a clean break can this be welded?
Can you fix a bracket to join both pipes or do I need to replace just this part?

Or the whole shooting match ???

A cheap solution would be great

996 mike

Attachments

• d50653db_10cd_4495_aaa1_7fb3480261c4_156.jpeg
    d50653db_10cd_4495_aaa1_7fb3480261c4_156.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,353
  • b9ba8075_ecc6_49a3_8e9e_1006afb4a574_165.jpeg
    b9ba8075_ecc6_49a3_8e9e_1006afb4a574_165.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,353
I would imagine having just changed mine (a 2004) it will need replacing.

May I be the first to say Topgear!

I wouldn't have thought that could be welded, but you could try showing a decent welding shop your pictures and asking them.

If you really must keep it original rather than buying the very good Top Gear boxes, then your best bet is to search Ebay for decent second hand items. You should be able to get one for around £100, though fitting will be expensive unless you're good with the spanners.

Edit: To be clear, the part you need is a back box/muffler. That pipe is part of that section of your exhaust. To replace it, you'll need to remove your rear bumper, the heat shields, and cut the doubtless rusted clamps that hold the pipes to each other. The muffler is bolted onto a hanger that bolts to the engine and all the bolts will be seized and rusted, so you'll need to be handy with a grinder to release the muffler, and then you'll need to put it back together with new stainless steel bolts to enable it to come apart in the future. The hanger is a stupidly expensive part, so you'll need to not damage it.

Let us know if you're planning to do it yourself and we'll walk you through it.

Try 54mm by 70mm flexi exhaust joint from ebay around 10 a £12 will need welding, other lengths available might need stainless same price

As Bill says you can have those corrugated sections cut out of each box and weld in new flexi sections but if your Indy has said your seams are shot then you're flogging a dead horse really.

As said, Topgear offer the most cost effective new stuff but be careful how far you go as my mate has their switchable boxes, x-pipe cats and manifolds and it sounds bloody horrible in loud mode.

Just don't buy all that and you'll be fine. Boxes only for example should be a nice solution.

As also said everything will be rusted so it's hard deciding where to stop.

Good luck with it though. It's not a massive nightmare either way. :thumb:

Martin996RSR said:
Edit: To be clear, the part you need is a back box/muffler. That pipe is part of that section of your exhaust. To replace it, you'll need to remove your rear bumper, the heat shields, and cut the doubtless rusted clamps that hold the pipes to each other. The muffler is bolted onto a hanger that bolts to the engine and all the bolts will be seized and rusted, so you'll need to be handy with a grinder to release the muffler, and then you'll need to put it back together with new stainless steel bolts to enable it to come apart in the future. The hanger is a stupidly expensive part, so you'll need to not damage it.

Let us know if you're planning to do it yourself and we'll walk you through it.

Bumper and heat shields don't need removing to do this. Back boxes can be removed with everything else intact.

I've got a pair of original PSE boxes in my garage that I just had a look at and they do indeed have that flexi section.

The OP said he wanted to keep it original, hence not suggesting he has a flexi section (of the braided type) welded in. I'm certain this would be the best option though, if the seams aren't past it.

Although you can do the job without removing the bumper and heat shields, I would recommend you do, as it gives you far better access for what will be a very unpleasant session of rusty bolt battling.

Thx for all the reply's
So I need a new exhaust. Read on here that Topgear are ok also
Noted there seems to be lots of options for how the exhaust is built

I have a pse love the sound what topgear set up will give
Me a similar sound ?

Can you replace just the back boxes or is it better to give in to her age and get a new system ?

My opinion, you will never better the sound of Porsche PSE. They nailed it.

Mega expensive to replace though unfortunately.

Just get some flexis welded in. I did when my DANSK went. Should only cost around £200.

The TG boxes sound nothing like the PSE boxes, I know because I have had both on my car. The PSE boxes give a great sound, but they are heavy. The TG ones sound a little uncultured at low revs in a way that the PSE ones don't, but the TG ones sound great above 3.5K rpm, especially when accelerating.

As Alex has said, getting a new flexi section welded in is probably your best course of action unless the seams on the silencer are too badly shot to get welded up at the same time.

Martin996RSR said:
The TG boxes sound nothing like the PSE boxes, I know because I have had both on my car. The PSE boxes give a great sound, but they are heavy. The TG ones sound a little uncultured at low revs in a way that the PSE ones don't, but the TG ones sound great above 3.5K rpm, especially when accelerating.

As Alex has said, getting a new flexi section welded in is probably your best course of action unless the seams on the silencer are too badly shot to get welded up at the same time.

Which Topgear boxes do you have again?

These are mine, the mild sport box:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back