Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locking fuel flap not locking

Kbald

Monza
Hi all my fuel flap doesnt lock and it seems like its missing a bit and the rod doesnt seem to be coming out! Ive had a search but cant seem to find anything so does anyone have a guide or info on what parts there should be and what they are called so i can find them. Also if there is a guide to repairing this. Thanks

If the 996 is the same as the boxter / Cayman, the solenoid is up behind the wheel arch liner. Whip that out and see what is going on, or not, when you activate the locking mechanism.

Thanks will have a look. Any idea if its easy to replace?

If the solenoid is working (you can hear it) you *might* be lucky and the rod has just fallen off (as happened with mine.)

It's not easy to get at though.
Remove the inner liner and the carbon filter canister
reach up to the solenoid and the rod may be hanging by a thread (almost literally!) and you can re-attach it.

Sounds like some fun ahead then but hopfully its that issue. From looking online there seems to be a part for the door too which is missing too.

Have a look at the mechanism from within the filler flap. Check to see the plastic rod moves when you lock/unlock.

On mine, it moved but not far enough to engage the hole on the flap, and I found it was snagging. There should be a small plastic cap that sits on the hole where the plastic rod comes in/out from, mine was missing so the rod could move a little which made it snag.

On mine the guide rose was missing (pence from OPC) and the rod had disappeared inside the wing albeit was still moving backwards and forwards. I managed to get a bit of wire around it and using this and the manual pull cord in the door jam managed to get it back in place.

I used a plastic open grommit (from Maplin - other electronics wholesalers available)as a temp measure to get it centralised and working, however, the proper guide rose from Porsche looked a bit cheap and nasty so I've left the grommit in.

That was last November and still working fine.

Ian

As per both of the above posts .. the grommit missing is the main cause of these not locking .

I just fit a new one .. they are a few years old now and nothing lasts forever !

So the pole comes in and out fine so its the bit on thhe flap thats missing. Is this the gromet that a few of you refer too?

That parts still there too so it must be number 7 on the diagram i need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back