Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Am I missing Something ?

limey

Trainee
I am very sad to be selling, so to add insult to injury I have had no enquiries. I had thought the 996 was becoming more accepted. Perhaps I am wrong.
I have owned 11 911,s from a 2.4 E, 2.7 MFI Carrera, 3.0 Carrera, 3.0 SC x 2, 3.2 Carrera, 3.6 C2 x 3, 3.6 Carrera RS RHD, and a 3.6 993. This car has such fantastic handling, has all the driver feed back you need and is great fun to drive.
I am only selling, as the house has bleed me dry, we have been on a four year development that is now 2 weeks from finishing and the final bills are becoming due.

Attachments

• gr_996_150.jpg
    gr_996_150.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4,353
:dont know:

Can you link to your advert?

996.1 in Red with Aero? I would have thought it would fly!

What kind of history, mileage and price?

LINK => 911uk advert

It looks like a great car at a sensible price for someone that is looking for an entry level 911.

Fingers crossed for you.

Perhaps consider Pistonheads or Autotrader for an advert?

Seems like a good car with low miles at a reasonable price.

Some people may be put off by the cage and seats as they may think it's been used as a track car. I think you limit the market with those modifications, regardless of how good they are or their value.

It may be worth removing and selling the cage and seats separately and re fitting standard seats? I would widen the market and you would probably end up with more money out of it.

Good luck :thumbs:

rdodger said:
Perhaps consider Pistonheads or Autotrader for an advert?

:yeah:

911uk classifieds are a great resource for outsiders looking for a car previously owned by enthusiasts but most members will already have a 911 and yours isn't one they'd be looking to change into.

Strange as that has some lovely mods, especially the genuine seats.

To be honest though me and my mate Craig were talking about prices yesterday and agreed that we'd both want £20k plus for ours once they're properly sorted (Craig's is there, mine almost), but try selling one for anywhere near £20k.

They just don't sell for that, not privately anyway. Market correction maybe but I also think only one or two did ever change hands for that. (I'm talking standard body Carreras only)

As it happens we both wouldn't sell if someone waved £20k in our faces. I like 911s and there's nothing else even if I doubled my £20k, that I'd see as a good value "upgrade" for my needs.

Back to yours, unfortunately only us 996 nerds see them as being worth anything like high teens, despite the fact most of us will have way over that invested in them. It's a hobby and every hobby costs money I suppose.

So say it's the choice of £15k for car or keep it, can you not just get a small loan instead or a remortgage. If it's to pay renovation costs you'll surely have added more than the costs onto the value of the house.

Saying that, it's gutting to sell the the car for a house but home comes first.
I sold my GT3 for my renovation but all I really miss if I'm honest is the fact it would rise in value more than its C2 replacement.

Cars come and go. Home matters more. Good luck either way. :thumb:

The biggest turn-off I can see with the ad, is that at 87k miles there is no mention of a rebuild or borescope. Consider how many buyers are already wary of this, plus you are asking top money for a car that possibly could (but might not) require another £5-10k outlay in rebuild fees, and you immediately cut your market down to near zero.

My personal suggestion is to have at the very least a bore-scope and oil-analysis done, and as long as both are good you should shift it much quicker.

My personal £0.02, which eches recent feelings (search Mar - Oct, purchased in Nov '17)

It's a mk1, hence 3.4. They rarely borescore. They can but mega rare.

So honestly no offence but if someone emailed or rang me to say that about a car I was selling, I'd tell them they don't even know what they're looking at so jog on.

Like I say no offence as I'm guessing your search was for a mk2 so then it becomes relevant but not on a mk1.

Also if it had 120k plus on it I may be interested in oil analysis due to worn crank bearings but again doubtful at 90k.

Doesn't mean something else won't go wrong like D chunk etc but there isn't really a pre emptive check for that. It's either working or it isn't.

But what you say is a good example of what sellers are up against.
People are scared of the engines.

Mine is (and the search was for) a Mk1.
Top-end rebuild around 80k miles by Hartech. Scoring present at 130k miles when rebuilt again. It happens, and I was prepared. I was also not a 'normal' buyer in that respect.

I am only trying to point out that 99% of potential buyers are going to ask for - *those* buyers are the ones who are terrified of needing a rebuild, or major ££££ spend due to some other issue. The 996 is 'the one with the eggy lights and the soggy engine'. Sad but true, and thats the bit sellers need to ward against.

Fair do's eabeukes, you've been unlucky there but it does happen and you're right that's exactly the reputation they have, which is why only us enthusiasts value them so highly. Those figures are never realised when selling though.

For the record my Indy has seen literally two 3.4s that have borescored and that's in 20 years, but yes it does happen on occasion.

Trouble is a buyer will be waiting a long time to find a clean straight mk1 with a Hartech rebuild. Especially if they also want manual, C2 or aerokit.

Nobody looks in these classifieds except members already on here.

Get it on pistonheads, eBay classified and auto trader. Be prepared for a lot of time wasters.

Stick to your guns and it will sell if its good.

These cars will take a long time to sell, there aren't people queueing up for an 18k 996, buyers are rare but the cars are worth it.

take some amazing photos in an amazing location, call in a favour from a good photographer.

If I could sneak it past the Mrs I'd happily add it to my modest fleet of vehicles, looks like a great car - it's actually what I was looking for a couple of years ago (because everyone knows that red cars are faster).

Would whole heartedly agree with all the comments, mainly that they don't sell quick!! Especially at the moment, a friend had a prestige car dealership and it's slow at the moment. Sounds daft but the world cups been on and it's summer and people's priorities change to holidays etc. I like the car but been modified will narrow the market. My only points would be that I don't recall if you said you had everything to revert it to standard and the pictures want improving upon.

It sounds like a great spec, but a narrow market. A number of buyers will be looking at a 911 for the rear seats. I think you're also limited for children / booster seats with buckets? Others won't want such visible modifications (or any modifications). As I say it's a car that will appeal to a lot of people, but I suspect far fewer would actually go for it.

Definitely advertise elsewhere. There's no point only advertising to people who've already got one. Good luck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back