Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air bag light

rdodger

Spa-Francorchamps
I left the car parked in the sun yesterday and when I started the car the airbag light came on. The steering wheel centre was very hot. It has stayed on every start since.

Is this a common thing?

Do I have a fault or do I just need to get it cleared?

Thanks

Once an airbag fault has been triggered it will need the code clearing for the light to go out whether the fault is there or not .

Whilst ive never seen or herd of this fault you may well have a drivers airbag fault .. need to get a tester on it to confirm .

What year is yours? Might be able to sort you out..

Nice to meet the op today Rodger, what a great looking car, barely had time to chat this morning before I had to get going, sorry my copy durwmetric did not want to talk to your airbag so we got no further with the fault, really you need to get a fault code as airbag itself may well be absolutely fine, the wiring in the buckle can sometimes give up for instance triggering a fault. At least you were only round the corner..

The big Bosch machines and the snap op diagnostics will also read the fault codes so it may be worth calling a local garage to see if they have one before travelling further afield to one Of The Porsche Indies.

asterix_the_gaul said:
Nice to meet the op today Rodger, what a great looking car, barely had time to chat this morning before I had to get going, sorry my copy durwmetric did not want to talk to your airbag so we got no further with the fault, really you need to get a fault code as airbag itself may well be absolutely fine, the wiring in the buckle can sometimes give up for instance triggering a fault. At least you were only round the corner..

The big Bosch machines and the snap op diagnostics will also read the fault codes so it may be worth calling a local garage to see if they have one before travelling further afield to one Of The Porsche Indies.

Thanks for your help today Jon. Great to meet you and hopefully see you at a meet soon. :thumbs:

Went to Unit 11 this morning and it turns out to be the module behind the wheel that connects to the airbag and horn. Still not exactly cheap but far better than a replacement airbag!!

Unfortunately they also found an AC leak in a condensor and the pipe that runs down the sill. Looks like next week will be quite spendy :sad:

Bad luck Rog, but like you say the airbag fault could have been worse and the air-con faults are a case of "They all do that sir". :wink:

The pipes rot in the clamp that holds them to the floor. Water and dirt gather there. I done all mine last year. Lovely ice cold air con since and I think it's only the 2nd 911 out of the 5 I've owned where I've bothered getting it to work.

The pipe is just over £100 if it's the same section. Everyone should aim to do the condensers themselves as you can make a much nicer job of it than the average "timed" Indy. Unless of course you pay them to do a special job but that would add a lot of time and money on.

If the car is in daily use though then diy isn't always an option. :thumb:

Not in daily use but we are away in France in couple of weeks and need it done by then. I am trying to get at least some of it done under the warranty YCP supplied. Warranty 2000. As you can imagine I am not holding my breath!

Unusual to say the least .. never seen a clock spring failure due to heat !

A/C though .. condensors fair enough .. the pipes though at o/s/r connection .. fingers crossed the bolts come out .. if not its new pipes front to rear :( ..

Im afraid ive done one or two shall we say due to seized bolts .

My fingers are well and truly crossed!

I hope they are correct with the clock spring. They certainly seemed sure.

Well I shall be looking at the outcome of this with interest. I had some work done on my 996 only to pick it up with an airbag fault (drivers door). Clearing it did not work and so it was eventually removed (replaced with a resister) and then the fault was cleared. I am in two minds whether to remove both the airbags as the car is primarily for track.

Pip :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back