Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any ideas....C4S not starting/oil level dropped overnight!

Steve B

Hi guys,

Yesterday evening I was driving home from my kids swimming lesson. I was sat stationary at some traffic lights, engine was idling normally and all appeared well. Then all of a sudden the engine just stopped! No funny noises or other symptoms, it just stopped dead.

I had my fault code reader with me so I plugged in and there are no fault codes present at all. When you try to start the engine it cranks normally and the tacho need moves up so I think the crank sensor is okay but it won't start.

I had the car recovered home last night and this morning I started to check out the fuel pump relay and fuel pump. I bridged the relay and you can hear the pump whirring at the front of the car. However it still won't start so maybe the pump isn't delivering the correct pressure.

I was about to continue looking at the fuel system when I noticed that this morning the oil level display is now only showing one bar above minimum! Yesterday before it broke down it was definitely up to maximum. I checked using the dipstick and this also now indicates the oil level has dropped. So the question is where has about 1 litre of oil gone overnight when the car has been sat on my driveway?! I've had a good look underneath and around the engine and everything appears to be dry so I don't think it's leaked out anywhere.

I'm most concerned about the mysterious disappearance of the engine oil. Up until I noticed this I thought it would be a new fuel pump / filter/ relay and it would be back running but I'm concerned something more serious has gone wrong. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Steve

I would think in terms of a dead Relay initially, my 993 did exactly the same except no oil loss. replace Relay with a new one and see if it works. Oil is odd certainly, try simple first.

Certainly sounds an unusual one.....

Like asterix, I suspect the two things may not be related. Am not an expert, but am sure one will post shortly....

My initial thoughts:
As the oil-level dash readout is in segments, you may have only just been into the full segment, then today you may just be into a lower segment, so it may not be as much oil 'lost' as you think.....(very badly explained, it was the best I could do).
Had the car sat for a while when you checked the oil yesterday? If so, it would be at its fullest readout, whereas this morning I guess some oil may still be lining the engine (as it should be). The fact that you cant see any oil leak and you didnt see blue-smoke suggests the oil hasnt gone anywhere (hopefully!!!).

I would agree the oil level is a red herring. Unless there is evidence of a load of dumped oil or there was smoke before it cut out (which you would have noticed sitting at the lights), I very much doubt this has just happened and I wouldnt be worrying about it.

Do the old fashioned 'easy start' in the inlet trick to see if it fires up briefly meaning you have a fuel delivery issue.

Oil probably a red hearing as above, it can only be in one of three places:

1. On the floor
2. In the engine
3. Swimming around with the engine water

There are a bunch of fuses to check, they can and do go ping occasionally. Under steering wheel.

There are probably a number of systems that if not connected to power would prevent the engine from running.

bakerboy4s said:
Daft question, has the OP looked at the dipstick?

Daft question, have you actually fully read his post..... :wack:

"I checked using the dipstick and this also now indicates the oil level has dropped."

bakerboy4s said:
Daft question, has the OP looked at the dipstick?

Daft question, have you actually fully read his post..... :wack:

"I checked using the dipstick and this also now indicates the oil level has dropped."

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Quick update....I think the oil level appearing low is a red herring. As a result of the engine failing to start it runs the oil measurement every time the engine is cranked. The low level is just a result of the oil being cold and slow to return to the sump after a failed start.

I have checked the flow from the fuel pump and although it makes a noise like it is running it produces no flow at all. A new pump has been ordered from Porsche Wilmslow and should hopefully arrive by the end of the week.

Thanks again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back