Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery tray replacement?

infrasilver

I fitted a new Bosch S5 battery at the weekend and did find that with the new battery being larger that I had to move the battery clamp along one more hole but the threads had almost disappeared and looking at the battery tray itself I think I need a new one fitting, anyone had any success replacing as the four bolt heads that hold it to the chassis are almost gone and getting them out may be a task I will probably wish I had never taken on?

I did get this replaced with a good used one in the end, it was a bit of a task to do. So just for info if anyone else needs to tackle this I thought I would post how it got done.

28712263467_c54d06ef20_z.jpg

As you can see it's not pretty and the original tray had rotted through at one of the nuts, three of the nuts that were originally 13mm had corroded down to around 11mm making me have to hammer an 11mm socket over them and after a bit of heat and WD40 they did come loose.

42882019554_b5cd779c51_z.jpg

The worst nut was where the tray had corroded most, I pulled the tray off over the nut by tearing the metal (rust) and attacked it with more heat but it just rounded off, I got the Dremmel out and cut the nut so I could remove it and the last bit of the tray.

29729565438_3f7c862737_z.jpg

I went over the new (used) tray with POR15 to hopefully make it last a good few years longer than the original one did.

29729571728_d5e0ce473a_z.jpg

Looks like a pain of a job, well done.

Mine has some surface rust starting so will give it a spruce up before it gets much worse and have to replace the whole lot.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilovecars
Back