Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Latest 996 CSR Evo reviewed by Evo magazine

Fastlane

Spa-Francorchamps
This is interesting - RPM are doing a much more full on conversion of a 996.2 uprated to c.350bhp. The conversion is £55k, plus the cost of the base car.

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/21463/...-s-911-996-carrera-to-a-track-focused-extreme

Here's the spec:

CSR EVO suspension
CSR derivative of KW Club Sport 3-way adjustable dampers with CSR ride height,
geometry set-up and corner weighting
Adjustable lightweight anti roll bar
Adjustable lower arms
Poly bushing
CSR EVO Engine
CSR preservation pack and Stage 1 power kit
Stage one camshafts
Third radiator conversion
Gasflowed and ported cylinder heads
IMS bearing upgrade
Deep sump extension
CSR centre exit exhaust
Induction upgrade
Stage 1 power upgrade to circa 350bhp
CSR EVO Drivetrain
RPM developed lightweight flywheel and clutch
First application of a CSR developed mechanical limited slip
differential
Short shift mechanism (gearlever has a modified throw
and weight)
CSR orange four-piston calipers, CSR floating discs
High performance pads and brake fluid
CSR EVO Design

Visually the CSR EVO benefits from a number of bespoke modifications for the interior and exterior.

The interior includes a subtle mix of CSR signatures and safety features that include: Deep dish steering wheel, CSR tachometer, and CSR EVO gear lever. The lower dash has been deleted and the centre console has switch gear and ash tray deletes and is colour coded.

For driver comfort a half roll cage is fitted coupled with driver harness and a separate, custom CSR harness bar with deep race bucket seats. CSR mats finish the CSR look.

The stunning exterior for the launch model is presented in custom Merlin Purple and integrates body styling: the new CSR EVO front bumper with aero vent and angled third radiator for additional downforce. The CSR carbon ducktail and side skirts. A lightweight carbon CSR bonnet and custom rear bumper with unique vented exhaust trim.

The whole car is finished off with colour-coded lightweight 18" OZ wheels on Michelin Cup 2 tyres.

4fe3ffcb1bbc763759f2e98039f3e4e2db04ba8f.jpeg

a1871e67d86eb527eeef86833e96ec370aeff673.jpeg

9a58734215188a3a5af6c189bf78a8937f61d1b8.jpeg

So 70k plus!?

Looks nice but that buys you a super low miles GT3!

:yeah: 55k including car would be easier to stomach

It's a 996 Singer kind of thing...I do like it though :thumb:

Given what they replace you could start with a pretty poor car- mechanically.

As long as it looked pretty and was cheap, bingo.

£55K and they haven't even opened the engine to put new bearings or timing chains / tensioners in!!!!!?????

....and in a possibly, bore score prone 3.6? Or £15k and get Hartech or Autofarm to do a 3.9 conversion, future proofed plus a bit more for full engine balance LWFW, heads cams etc..... I doubt it would cost 20K for everything.

Nuts! RPM Tecknik really do have the Porsche loving Journo's wrapped round their little finger. I suspect some healthy discounting for being mentioned in their articles. If you only read Evo mag you'd think there were no alternatives to RPM Tecknik.

I would love to know where that £55k has gone! You could have pretty good stab at doing most of that yourself for a hell of a lot less!!

Raises an interesting question. GT3 or one of these bespoke Carrera 2 upgrades which a lot of what comes out over the coming years will be given the low starting weight. With the GT3 you get the highly regarded engine but the reworked M96 engine is pretty much on a a par in terms of power, 350bhp. Add in a lot o interesting new modern modifications and the personal bespoke aspect and I can see the argument shift. A Porsche loyalist/traditionalist will presumably always go straight for the GT3, even if it's a bit ropey. Another type of buyer will go for the more 'rock and roll' CSR. A truly 'objective' comparison test would be enjoyable to see.

Nice car, love the colour. The 55K spec list above does not include any of the following:

-Ducktail
-Seats
-Paint scheme / decals
-Steering wheel
-Wheels
-Any bodywork

Or was the list just the highlights?

A diff can cost 3K for just the LSD unit without bearing etc (for a Drexler for example) and RPM do use quality parts, so I can see the costs getting pretty high. As mentioned though, most would look towards a GT3 at this price point.

Whether you like it or loathe it, that is a mighty fine looking 996. I'd usually say the exhaust is a bit too much for me but I actually really like it. Could be a mod for me in the future.

As Rich ELA says, the costs can quickly mount up. I do a lot of my own spannering but I still wouldn't like to add up what I have in my car now.
Suspension alone adds up to thousands. Exhausts and sorting manifold studs, wheels, tyres, aerokit, paintwork, it all gets pricey very quickly. :thumb:

ELA said:
Nice car, love the colour. The 55K spec list above does not include any of the following:

-Ducktail
-Seats
-Paint scheme / decals
-Steering wheel
-Wheels
-Any bodywork

Or was the list just the highlights?

Sorry I missed that bit off the original post - now added above and here.

CSR EVO Design

"Visually the CSR EVO benefits from a number of bespoke modifications for the interior and exterior.

The interior includes a subtle mix of CSR signatures and safety features that include: Deep dish steering wheel, CSR tachometer, and CSR EVO gear lever. The lower dash has been deleted and the centre console has switch gear and ash tray deletes and is colour coded.

For driver comfort a half roll cage is fitted coupled with driver harness and a separate, custom CSR harness bar with deep race bucket seats. CSR mats finish the CSR look.

The stunning exterior for the launch model is presented in custom Merlin Purple and integrates body styling: the new CSR EVO front bumper with aero vent and angled third radiator for additional downforce. The CSR carbon ducktail and side skirts. A lightweight carbon CSR bonnet and custom rear bumper with unique vented exhaust trim.

The whole car is finished off with colour-coded lightweight 18" OZ wheels on Michelin Cup 2 tyres."

Interesting. I see this as more of a showcase for a custom build. I'm not really sure it warrants a direct comparison to a GT3, as someone in the market for a GT3 will have to pick a used car, with whatever colour and spec that can be found, and then it would need some fettling in any event. They always do.

The custom build - on the other hand - is just that: whatever package of mods you want to the chassis, body, interior, engine and so on, in whatever colour takes your fancy. You could have hours of fun deliberating over the set up, the rebuild, the colour combinations, the rims... If had the money, I might be more interested in the bespoke build, in effect rebuilding an old car to an as-new condition, as opposed to what could just be sourcing a stock or even modified car with a bunch of miles on it....

But I don't so I'll just keep on adding modifications to my current car. But I do see the attraction.

I would agree with that, I don't think anyone with any sense would do that over a Gt3 but they are showing what can be done.

As said above if things like exhaust or other items are available separately then Id be interested.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrellS
Back