Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear toe eccentric bolts

IanG1

Monza
Any idea on the best way to free off the rear toe arm eccentric bolts. My alignment woes continue as been in today and they are solid so unable to adjust the rear toe? Any tips and tricks or pitfalls before I have a bash.

Here's how my old ones came out.

Absolute buggers. The bolt rusts to the tube in the centre of the bush so rather than unscrew it just spins the tube around.

I had new ones ready with my new arms. Sorry that doesn't help you but some parts never come off again once they've done a few thousand miles.
Porsche fasteners are shocking. :nooo:

Mind you I'm just a cack handed northerner. Someone like Demort may well know a trick or two. :thumb:

I cut three of mine off with a hacksaw today.

MC

I read to saw the bolt head side first , through the bush as well, then once out the whole lot will move over (assuming the nut is already removed) exposing just the shank of the bolt to cut through om the other side.

The bolt is 19mm and the nut is 18mm. I couldnt get a socket on the nut and 18mm is not in the normal range of metric sets so I bought a halfords professional. Get a 16mm too as the front coffin arm bolt is 16mm.

Its best to keep the bolt still till the nut is loose.

Get a couple of these and some quality blades. I used them to cut 1/2" thick suspension bolts on a caterham.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mini-hacksaw-l-300mm/1801943_BQ.prd

Smugly, all 4 of my excentric bolts were free when I swapped the shocks a couple of weeks ago. Marked them, took them out and copa slipped. Off to Centre Gravity Wednesday.

Ian

:frustrated: Hope you get it sorted for Sunday run out Ian.

Sorry Ian but if it won't shift with a metre long breaker bar on it then the bolts are seized solid. You will need to use a hacksaw and spend a frustrating few hours sawing through the bolts as described above. If you have access to a trick gadget such as an induction heater then that will often do the job quicker.
Either way you will need to buy new arms as they won't survive removal, I picked up 2x new rear toe arms (Meyle) for £55 each from eBay.
New eccentric bolts and plenty of copper grease on installation.

Thanks for the replies, ordered a mini hacksaw. Is there anywhere online you can order the bolts, washers etc as quick search come up with nothing? Or is it OPC visit?
Also can you cut them without damaging the arm or is it new toe arm time?

As mentioned it will be time for new arms. I would use OPC for the bolts, usually cheaper than most online places. This was my attempt yesterday, about 1 hour 20 minutes to remove both coffin arms and a rear toe arm.

MC

Hmmm MC that subframe doesn't appear to be attached to the car making access much easier, I'd allow 1hr 20 per bolt if still fixed to the car!
And whatever you do do not damage the subframe whilst cutting!!

Everything ordered bolts, nuts arms and even a set of droplinks while I'm in there and dropping the ARB. Looks like a busy weekend if it all lands.

Nearly through a complete refresh at CG and every bolt came out easily except one on the rear anti roll bar mount that sheared, be careful they are quite weak and they corrode into the ally bracket.

After separating my rear arms from everything bar the seized eccentric bolts I just ran my angle grinder slitting disc through either side of the bush as per my pic.
I just made sure to machine into my old arms rather than the subframe, if anything. Took 10 mins a side max.

Like I say all new parts going on so you can be pretty quick and brutal getting the old stuff off.

Thanks for all the advice, job done today only had to cut one side, the other I managed to free off. New toe arms, eccentric bolts and drop links fitted and ready for a geo.

How did you do it, by hand with a hacksaw? How long did it take?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back