Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A little oil question

BlueStripes

Hi all,

Had my c4s now a couple of weeks. The auto oil reader has consistently been on the second level. Car has service by supplying dealer when i bought it. I've done about 700 miles since collecting it.

Yesterday when i went to start it the bottom level was flashing. I read the handbook and duly added about third of a litre of oil as a starting point.

When out for a drive at around 50mph and above the oil pressure stayed on 5, however when coasting approaching lights etc it dropped to about 3.5. is that normal?

when i got back home after about 25 mile run i left the car about half an hour and went to check the auto oil reading again. The bottom section was flashing once again. Put in another 500ml and after leaving this for 10 mins or so it now reads on level 2.

is all that about right?

I am thought thinking about taking it into a good indi (suggestions please) I'm just north of Brighton, and getting a really good look over, and after reading lots of worrying reports i may well get a borescope done. Not because i suspect any things wrong but I'd just like to be reassured. After reading loads on here I'm fully aware that this would have been better done before buying not after
:dont know:

It little things that I'd like to sort. It's done 69k and at 11 years old i'm aware that it won't be as tight as a new car but there are a couple of little rattle etc that if possible i'd like to try and do something about. Having never had a 911 before I'm not really sure what to compare it to, what acceptable and expectable for a car of its age and mileage. Guess I'm after a more experienced eye to tell me all is ok

I'm no expert but I wouldn't expect to have to put any oil in within 700 miles of buying the car.

Regarding the oil pressure reading, as far as I know that's exactly how it should behave (i.e on 5 while accelerating and around 3.5 when idling) but I'd also like to have that confirmed.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
I'm no expert but I wouldn't expect to have to put any oil in within 700 miles of buying the car.

Regarding the oil pressure reading, as far as I know that's exactly how it should behave (i.e on 5 while accelerating and around 3.5 when idling) but I'd also like to have that confirmed.

my initial suspicions would be that service put in not much more that the minimum, but not enough to really be a full level 2 if you folllow my drift

no smoke from car so wouldn't think it's burning oil???

re your oil pressure the movement seems quite normal, re the oil levels as you dont know what was put in the car before you brought it and if it was a non Porsche dealer he could have put anything in it to top it up I suggest as your thinking get it to a Porsche indy and get an oil and filter change its not a lot of money and you will have the peace of mind of knowing its done right. these cars are all different and use differing amounts of oil and as you will have read 1ltr to 1000 miles is within Porsche spec , so yours may just be one that uses a bit more up the tolerance spec. the other thing is not knowing whats been put in the car may be why its using a bit more as engines with over 50k miles its reccomended by Hartech to use at minimum a 5w40 but I use 10w50 which is reccomended for engines with over 50k miles. Its your choice on oil and you can stick with mobil 1 or change to Millers nano + again as reccomended by Hartech. but there could be any mix of brands in the car from the dealer.
re the funny noises these cars are a bit more ticky than many others and can sometimes resemple an old beetle lol the lifters can tap a bit and thats quite normal better thicker viscosity oil will often reduce these noises . Just for peace of mind its worth getting a borescope done and getting the coil packs and plugs checked for cracks wear etc while they are in that area. make sure the indy knows how to read a borescope as there's often normal wear bore scratches these are very different to the scoring that panics everyone but it takes an experience eye to know the difference . Drop Member DeMort a PM as he is a Sussex based Porsche Indy Tech and will advise on whether he or someone else closer to you that he knows is good will be able to help you. :thumb: keep us posted :thumb:

Ah good glad you managed to get hold of each other :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you Phil and Iain for your help

particularly Iain for managing to twist arms to get my car fitted in for a borescope within 36 hours, so very much appreciated.

anyhow, the diagnosis was not good, Bore scoring found on 2 cylinders and start of scoring on 2 more. Full engine rebuild suggested. At 8-12 k and given that within 24 hours of me having the car the tip gearbox failed I have decided that this car is not for me.

The good news ... i phoned the supplying dealer who within 4 hours phoned me back to say that a full refund was mine, no quibbles whatsoever. These guys were first class when it came to the GB as well. No issues whatsoever, sourced and fitted a 17 thousand mileage box for me and upgraded the oil coolers at no cost at all.

I had been foreseeing all sorts of hassles and arguments, but all for no need.

so now the decisions, what do i do now?

I loved the idea of a C4s, but. given just how many horror stories i have heard and very very nearly encountered it has rather dampened my desire. After having 3 Porsches on a row maybe a brand outside may just be on the cards.

I do like the FType convertible, perhaps i may start having a look. Also though doing some reasearch as to any weak spots these may be suffering ....

Sad, but relieved. Oh and all ears to any experience others may have on the F's

Sorry to hear that, but as you say it sounds like the supplying dealer has been nothing but fair - who are they?

I'm still on the hunt for the right 997, but have been tempted by a few Audi R8's in my search, lovely looking cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back