Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TG exhaust system

Cybot7

Just ordered a Top Gear mild system with 200 cell cat. How difficult is to fit or should I get my local indy( good rep) to do it?

It can be done DIY mate but the bolts will be rusty and you will lose knuckle skin and be swearing all to save a couple of hundred quid. :thumb:

Fitting mine tomorrow, will let you know how much swearing is involved. No ramp so I guess off with the rear bumper and crack on.

Phil 997 said:
It can be dont DIY mate but the bolts will be rusty and you will lose knuckle skin and be swearing all to save a couple of hundred quid. :thumb:
I've just spent a fortune(a ***** lot) on getting S/S headers fitted so hopefully that side has been sorted

I think you've probably done the really hard bit, after all you can cut off the rest with a grinder....

I'm sending my car to TopGear for them to fit a catback new exhaust, and they say "it'll take us more than a day". I get the impression that removing all the rust fittings can be very difficult, and calls for weapons like a gas torch to get them off. Having the car in the air helps massively too.
To those DIY'ing it on their driveway - respect, and good luck.

I'm fortunate that my back boxes and cats have been replaced. However, I need to, over winter, change the manifolds. I have access to a ramp and garage but I think with these cars its a case of "picking your battles" ! I'm going to get my indy to do it, they have the jig etc so its worth paying I think. Back boxes and cats is possible you can cut stuff off and replace bolts but the manifolds when (not if) the bolts shear is going to be a whole new headache!

I've posted this before, but the issue I had (or rather the garage had) was getting the O2 sensors off, so much so that they had to leave them and buy new ones.

You can grind and cut everything else, but if you want to retain the O2 sensors then that's a different story.

BTW - 200 cell cats and mild sport boxes sound superb :thumbs:

Why oh why did Porsche fit those long bolts that go through the silencer brackets nut down? If nut up the job would be sooooo much easier!

Cybot7 said:
Just ordered a Top Gear mild system with 200 cell cat. How difficult is to fit or should I get my local indy( good rep) to do it?

I am only doing silencers. One side is done, one to go. 4.5hrs so far. The location of some bolts is ridiculous and they are of course rusty and round.

I ended up cutting the exhaust off the hangers, drilling out the studs and bolting the bracket back on before fitting the silencer back to the bracket with the nuts on top. Why Porsche bolt them the other way is a mystery to me.

Going to pick up a reciprocating saw on my way home tomorrow. I recon another 2-3 hours should see it done.

Working on a lift would make it a lot easier than rolling around on the floor!

If you have a good local indy I recon it should be half a day for them.

rdodger said:
Cybot7 said:

I am only doing silencers. One side is done, one to go. 4.5hrs so far. The location of some bolts is ridiculous and they are of course rusty and round.

I ended up cutting the exhaust off the hangers, drilling out the studs and bolting the bracket back on before fitting the silencer back to the bracket with the nuts on top. Why Porsche bolt them the other way is a mystery to me.

Going to pick up a reciprocating saw on my way home tomorrow. I recon another 2-3 hours should see it done.

Working on a lift would make it a lot easier than rolling around on the floor!

If you have a good local indy I recon it should be half a day for them.

respect to you mate rolling around on the floor for 7 hours in this weather :worship: sod that for a game, Iced coffee while someone else does it is my sort of day :grin: :grin: :thumb:

I found with mine the long bolts that go through the hangers corrode with the tubes they sit in and expand until they become one and the same mess of rust. I can't remember exactly how I got them out as I did them a couple of years ago. I then replaced the tubes with ali tube from B&Q's autosport aisle and used stainless bolts from Ebay that with the correct shoulder length for less than the cost of a single genuine porsche rust magnet item.

Cutting off and replacing both sides was about a day to a day and a half total, and when I came to put my TG mild sport boxes and 200 cell cats on, it was a piece of cake. Probably 5 hours total, working slowly.

I put the long bolts in nut up, cos I'm not a masochist.

If you've recently had new headers put in, your header to cat flange bolts will be in a good enough state to undo rather than cut. This will save you several hours at least.

If you can change your own brake pads then you're almost certainly up to this job. It's not hard, it's not precision, it's just a lot of rusted bolts and skinned knuckles (wear mechanics gloves!).

Top tip: Before you remove your bumper, tape a load of bubble wrap over it so that when you release it and it drops on the floor, you don't scratch it.

PHS said:
I've posted this before, but the issue I had (or rather the garage had) was getting the O2 sensors off, so much so that they had to leave them and buy new ones.

You can grind and cut everything else, but if you want to retain the O2 sensors then that's a different story.

Thanks, I'm in the process of canceling the order I made and then reorder as lamda sensors can't be ordered separately.

Cybot7 said:
PHS said:

Thanks, I'm in the process of canceling the order I made and then reorder as lamda sensors can't be ordered separately.

Hope you remembered to get the 10% forum discount mate on the exhaust :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back