Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Over and Out

highway

My eight year 993 journey is at an end. The car left me yesterday. Felt very strange watching someone else drive her away. Many 911uk members have exited ownership ahead of me. If you delve into the 993 archive there appear to be an entirely different set of regular posters, who all stopped posting over the years, presumably when they sold.

I still think the cars look and sound fantastic. For me these were the prettiest Porsche ever made. The older stuff not without charm, but the 993 still looks stunning, straddling both classic and modern eras, keeping the noise and the size and being daily useable.

Like many 911's they can get lost at a car show- just another 911, with the focus for many on Singer alike stuff or GT cars. A well kept 993 is an increasingly rare sight on the roads in the wild. I always have a nose if I see one parked and I shall miss mine.

Ownership and this forum also brought me into contact with a number of people who I otherwise would never have met. Nice, genuine people who seem to typify 911 owners some of whom are now real pals. That's been a great consequence of looking after a 911.

To those who are still on the journey- respect. Ownership is a broad church. Whilst HPN'er seeks to recreate scenes from Smokey and the Bandit with every trip to the shops and laughs in the face of miles added, Doc Morton is on a quest to travel back to 1997 with his car so it can look as new again.

The beauty is, no one is wrong. The thrill of driving, the joy of ownership. It's all good. Some even try both. Happy trails!

:thumbs:

So whats next on the car front?

Good luck highway and congrats on the sale.
I know how it feels to see yr 993 drive off in to sunset and it's a sad day. However that day does have to come at some point.

As much as I loved my 993 and owned for 6 years ( longest I've owned a car for ) it felt like the right time and life's too short not to try other cars too.

What's next for you... more pork ??

:bye:

"Au Revoir" highway.

Don't be a stranger on here. Looking forward to seeing your next steer at The Fairmile sometime. :thumb:

Still have my Elise and just bought a Mini Cooper S to replace my daily Saab (2009 Turbo Edition Saloon 28k from new, massive spec and totally mint- and for sale!!) My plan is to get a replacement for the 993 then sell the Lotus as well. I don't want to run 3 cars.

I like Alfa 4C Spyders. The dealers are all woeful though. That's the front runner at the moment. I'd like a 981 Spyder, they are too expensive.

highway said:
My eight year 993 journey is at an end. The car left me yesterday. Felt very strange watching someone else drive her away. Many 911uk members have exited ownership ahead of me. If you delve into the 993 archive there appear to be an entirely different set of regular posters, who all stopped posting over the years, presumably when they sold.

I still think the cars look and sound fantastic. For me these were the prettiest Porsche ever made. The older stuff not without charm, but the 993 still looks stunning, straddling both classic and modern eras, keeping the noise and the size and being daily useable.

Like many 911's they can get lost at a car show- just another 911, with the focus for many on Singer alike stuff or GT cars. A well kept 993 is an increasingly rare sight on the roads in the wild. I always have a nose if I see one parked and I shall miss mine.

Ownership and this forum also brought me into contact with a number of people who I otherwise would never have met. Nice, genuine people who seem to typify 911 owners some of whom are now real pals. That's been a great consequence of looking after a 911.

To those who are still on the journey- respect. Ownership is a broad church. Whilst HPN'er seeks to recreate scenes from Smokey and the Bandit with every trip to the shops and laughs in the face of miles added, Doc Morton is on a quest to travel back to 1997 with his car so it can look as new again.

The beauty is, no one is wrong. The thrill of driving, the joy of ownership. It's all good. Some even try both. Happy trails!

Terrific post.

All the best. :thumb:

I'd say 8 years is a fine innings. I've had mine just over 4 and added 15,000 miles. Took her out today and was grinning from ear to ear at the admiring looks (and downright shock, sometimes) that I get!

Good luck with whatever is next. See you at the next drinkies! ;-)

T.

Well done Steve ...... good luck with your search for something different ........ your buying thread for the 993 was stuff of legend ...... :)

As always Steve, your post sums up the situation perfectly. Selling really is a bittersweet moment (I found that out last year!) but there's a log book somewhere just waiting for your name on it.

Bon chance mon ami!

Bob

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever. Sad day, but summed up eloquently. If you get a 4C before the end of July, there's still time for a Euro road trip.

End of a 911uk era! Congrats on being liberated from its spell Steve. The future's bright. Could the future be yellow :?:

Sold at the top of the market
Steve will be back when the arse falls out of them.
I've considered offing the 4S, but there's nothing I want more, or draws me towards it. I've always found that once you start looking at another car, the one you've got is finished. Exactly what happened to me when I had my last 964C2 and laid eyes on my C4S.
Im considering an old mgb,pre 1970, and Putting the 993 in storage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back