Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP!! Ignition switch - stranded!

ministig

Hi guys,

Long shot - but does anyone have a spare ignition barrel switch in the Sunderland area!

Currently stranded in a petrol station!

Cheers
James

Im afraid im no were near you but i assume you mean the connection to the back of the ignition not the barrel as that will only work with your key .

The ignition plug whilst causeing faults doesnt normally stop the car from starting , do you have a tip ? if so try starting in neutral and not park.

Try fast ignition on off and into start position many times .

Can you give any more details of what the fault is ?

Thanks for the reply. This is totally self diagnosed - the car thinks the key is still in the ignition.

When trying to turn the key it simply spins with no resistance!
Car is a manual

Part of the internal mechanism has broken would be my guess .. the barrel basically turns a bit inside .. its this bit i think has broken ..

The only way to prove it would be to remove the igntion barrel and use a screwdriver .. as you need the original key for this i dont mind giveing instructions here ..

You need to get the key blade out of the fob , finger nails to split the fob then its a small plastic lock , remove the spring and lock but carefully .. easy to loose them .

Key blade in the barrel and move to igntion on .. look carefully at it .. there is a small hole .. you need a small rod to push into that , if you push the barrel at the same time as the rod it will release the mechanism and the barrel will pull out.

you then have something a screwdriver could turn .

Problem really is getting a small rod , we are talking about 1mm in diameter .. a 997 has one in the fuse cover but not a 996 im afraid .

The key fob needs to be very close to the lock for the car to start .. you may need to refit the barrel or use the key blade back in the fob and inside where the barrel was to then get it started .. the immobiliser !

EDIT .. the outer barrel has a hole which lines up with one inside .. thats what you are looking for .

Awesome cheers will give it a go!

Sounds like a hair grip would do it - fortunately the wife has thousands!

That will be a little big im afraid .. it needs to be round .. a paper clip might work though .

Im afraid at work i use oxy accatelene nozzle cleaners .. which is not something people tend to have kicking around :(

Either way it sounds like you will need a complete lock ass.

1.5 hours plus parts ..

Ill list out what you need to do if you want to replace it yourself .. just let me know after this drama is sorted ..

You have my sympathys young man .

Hair grip worked a charm!

Looks like the attached picture of a small metal ring is the culprit!

Images don't look to be uploading - anyhow - small metal ring at the back of the barrel between that and the housing , looks like 1 side of this has shattered.

awww excellent .. no image though .. please retry or send to ..

[email protected]

ill then post it.

Dam mate .. if you get the car started it will make my day !

Sorry but i have to log now .. im starveing .. not eaten since 1pm .

If you can turn any part of the lock then have the key fob as close as possible to the ignition so that the transponder is read and that will allow the car to start .

Try to mimic where the key would normally be when starting the car .

BTW if your stealing the car then i didnt say any of this !

Attachments

• cid_d97e6c75_efc3_46bd_9ba9_c0e4c5f28952_144.jpg
    cid_d97e6c75_efc3_46bd_9ba9_c0e4c5f28952_144.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 3,094
Just sent you an email mate with the photo.

I haven't got it started - didn't try - recovered the car home with a rigid tow.

Most importantly have got the car secured - with it thinking the key was still in I was unable to lock it.

Thanks for your help!! Any clues on the parts required much appreciated.

Cheers mate - your help has saved my bacon and a night of worry if the car wasn't able to lock!

Car is an 04 4S so going to order the upgraded switch and mechanism:

Thanks for the assistance again DeMort

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back