Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Emergency road condition warning - PLEASE READ!!!!!

Alex

Nordschleife
Sorry to be the bearer or bad news but quick - SORN your cars over the summer. Weather conditions are that hot across the UK that many of the roads are melting and tar is getting splattered over sills across the nation!!

And to make matters much much WORSE councils are combating this by sending out the gritters in the hope salt will cool the tarmac down a few degrees and hopefully prevent tar thaw!!!!!!

YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!!!!!! :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

You would think we had never had a hot summer before, mind you we didn't have the nanny state in 1976...

Why can't they put the effort into fixing potholes.

Mike

maldren said:
You would think we had never had a hot summer before, mind you we didn't have the nanny state in 1976...

Why can't they put the effort into fixing potholes.

Mike

Self healing roads. They break in the winter, then in the summer they melt and it just flows back in to the holes.

MC

:floor: :floor: :floor:
Seems like the road tar is good for nothing in this country. Crumbles when it's cold, melts when the sun is out for more than a couple of days. :dont know:

i did wonder why i had not seen any 993s or sandles around !

I was gonna post it in the 993 section but didn't want to get tarred with the scaremongering brush :grin:

I have just came back from an epic road trip to Stuttgart and then down to Andermatt in Switzerland doing the famous passes. I was amazed how good the roads were, no potholes great smooth road surface brilliant. German and Switzerland they have much worse weather conditions than us from freezing conditions to hot weather.

We did experience some road works, the culture appears to be is forget the quick fix sort term approach as like in the UK (tar and grave) and do the job properly and re-surface the road that will last a long time. Our roads in the UK are an embarrassment.

I do not know why in the UK our road surface are so course which make so much extra road noise, as compared to German and Switzerland where they appear to use a much finer grade stone in there road surfacing.

Our roads are an embarrassment, I am currently in Germany and have driven through France, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and Sweden over the last week or so and all the roads are in great condition, it is the same temperature here as back in the UK and they all have worse winters than us, I haven't seen any poor roads yet, that is until I get back home tomorrow. The only other anomaly is Belgium's Autoroutes, they are terrible.

Our roads are pretty grim too: many of them are simply gravel and potholes, the highways have endless grooves from the studded winter tyres (and our windscreens and bonnets have endless chips from old the studs being thrown at them), and the cities are a mix of cobblestones, tram lines, steel plates over road works, and sunken manhole covers, with a bit of tarmac in between. I think it's a strategy to keep speeds down.

There's even a stretch of motorway north of Helsinki with a yump, which, if taken at an (in)appropriate speed, will get you airborne. The winter is pretty tough on the roads and the road repair budgets are too thin, although it is lovely when they lay fresh tarmac, from time to time. :dont know:

If I was a 993 owner now I'd be shaking like a shitting dog :what: Or finishing off the marble plinth in the garage :roll:

:floor:

Its far to hot to drive a 993 :hand:

Is the gts salt retardant? :grin:

Alex
It's when the weather's been like this that I wish I'd gone down the soft top path. Absolutely glorious

Last time I remember driving with the top up was the night foo fighters were on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back