Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 DAB Splitter

Tim_996

I've been fitting my Pioneer DA130DAB double din unit and I'm close to finishing it. Whether it powers up and plays music is another matter.

However, I'm a bit stuck on the DAB splitter. I don't want a window mounted aerial but can't seem to find anything that will connect to the aerial connection from the back of the old Becker unit. It's got a part number 996.612.072.00.

Anyone who's done the upgrade come across anything? I've tried connects2 and searched the web but in all honesty I don't know what the connection type is so I'm not getting anywhere.

Any help welcome. :frustrated:

Attachments

• connector_180.jpg
    connector_180.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 2,409
I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to use a screen mounted dab aerial mate.

Most am/fm aerials are optimised for just that. And don't get the dab frequencies very well. Also if the vehicle has a built in aerial amplifier (I'm guessing ours do) - they filter out everything above 108MHz. Which includes the DAB frequencies!

Hope that helps a little. I didn't have to worry on mine as I got the previous model sph-da120. Have since seen the new one and am thinking about it.

Thanks for that, looks like I'm going the windshield route. Probably the better option. T

Remember to mount it vertically :thumb:
I put mine on the passenger side - barely notice it :)

Bought the pioneer windshield mount aerial. Looks great and will fit tomorrow. Managed to get the din converter for the aerial cable in the car and that's fitted now.

Butchered (sorry, "fettled") the cigarette lighter socket and now have a usb3 connector for the apple carplay connection to the radio.

Will post pics in next couple of days but I'm sure you've all seen similar.

Hi,
I'm in the process of changing out my radio, an aftermarket single din unit. I've stripped out all the old wires and moved the climate control down the bottom as I would like to fit a double din unit.

My question is, what do you do with the plastic single din divider, do you just cut it out. I don't really like cutting up the dash, is there an alternative solution??

Have you got the DAB working well, I've never had one of these and am not sure it's worth the effort?

Cheers

Donald

I've fitted DAB into my Mondeo but not done the 996 yet because mine has the MOST fibre system, I plan to upgrade in the autumn.

DAB is digital so you either get a signal or you don't, it does drop out from time to time in a car and you need a decent aerial. DAB also uses different frequencies from FM so you need a different aerial, a splitter probably won't work too well. I used a stick on window aerial in the Ford, it was cheap, easy to fit and it's reasonably unobtrusive.

DAB does tend to give better sound in the car but the difference is small when the FM signal is good. It does give far more channels, critically for me BBC 5 sports extra for test match special!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back