Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What next: 991 or 997 Turbo

Les

Chaps,
I've posted this in the 997 forum as well, as I know there will be a slight bias for 997 on there and 991's on here.

I'm starting to think about my next 911 and I'm looking to purchase something next month. My budget will be around £55-60K.

I'm currently torn between a 991 Cab or a 997 Turbo Cab.

I use the car as a daily driver and GT car for holidays across Europe, but still, like to put my foot down every now and then ;-)

I've already had 2 x PDK 997's and I'm worried that the 991 will look different (which is a +) but will perform the same (-), and the Turbo will look the same (-) but perform differently (+). This conundrum even lt my mind drift to a DB9 for a while.

There is also the residual argument that the turbo will go up (+), and the 991
will go down (-) but as I use it every day the fuel saving on the 991 will offset the residual differences.

Come on guys, give me your opinions as I'm struggling with the man-maths on this one.

If its daily driver, go as new as you can... i'd go for a high mileage newer car than a low mileage older car; the difference in technology, fuel economy and ride quality makes a massive difference in every day use.

I'll start by admitting that I'm no expert on either model. But I've had an older 996 as a daily and I've had several newer cars 987 and 981s as daily drivers.

If the residual value is not your main concern, then I'd say go with a LOWER mileage 991.

I've done just this with a very low miles 3k 3 year old 981s and I expect that I'll cover 15k miles in my first year of ownership. It sometimes feels a bit criminal and the fuel costs are high but the comfort level makes it worth it and if I sell up after year one of my ownership, then it will stil only be low to average mileage for a 4 year old car.

What sort of miles do you intend to rack up as a daily?

I do 20k a year in a 911.... definitely no garage queen. 😉

6appeal said:
I do 20k a year in a 911.... definitely no garage queen. 😉

I know Ive seen your threads.

I did 600 miles last week and that doesnt include one day that I used the RR sport instead because Mrs Wilpert stole my car to show off at work.

Whats sort of fuel economy do you get, Im on circa 24 mpg with mixed driving.

In the 991.2, because of the turbo engine it's easy to get over 30mpg without holding back.

A friend of mine who loved my 997.2 saw my 991.1 today. Having not seen it up close, he was convinced the 997 was the "better" 911, more purist and more drivers. I said he'd eat his words, and I was spot on.

Once he saw the 991 up close, he absolutely loved it. The styling, refinement, and overall design changes are so effective (his words, not mine - though i agree!). Once we went for a drive, the noise from the PSE had him grinning. He couldn't get enough of the whole experience.

I asked him given the choice, what car would he like to live with. Guess what he said....

The 991. Pound for Pound, and inch for inch, it's just a fabulous machine.

This vaguely similar thread I started after spending 2wks/2000miles in a 991.2

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127358

There was a lot I liked about it, namely great car, very easy to live with, sorry to see it go, etc. - but didn't see any need to change.. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back