Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cars fkked - needs a rebuild - what are my Options pls.....

911DG

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is well.

I posted a while back about my issues (engine light came on, took to Jaz Porsche, changed all 6 tappets - spotted BoreScore on No6 after only 4000 miles of ownership (and they checked for this exact issue at time of purchase) -now had car back 6 weeks - been DRINKING oil to the point of 4lts in 800miles - now engine lights on again and is misfiring again). Also been making a tap tap noise on turnover which I've been informed is not good and is related to said Scoring. Shame as bar drinking the oil I've done some 200mile runs and its driven like a dream and I LOVE it.

Im not selling the car so Options around fixing it would be awesome.

Its back at Jaz on Thursday as it may be the Spark Plugs but..... need Options.

Option 1: Rebuild: I believe it needs all 6 done, which means a rebuild, which everyone seems to say is around £8-9k (OUCH). I believe Hartech are the best but seems to be a few that can do it. I assume thats Option 1. Any cheaper folk in the business that are any good??

Whats Option 2....Second hand engine? New engine/trade mine in?

Etc etc. IS there an Option 3???

VERY keen to get thoughts and ideas as i plan to buy a run around for a few months while this gets sorted - sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Dan (and yes - im fkkking GUTTED )

:pc: :pc: :pc: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Dan,

Sorry to hear of your woes with the car and what sounds like (severe) bore score.... or maybe something else gone wrong (broken?) inside the pistons??? Only opening up the block will find the truth.

You've already answered your own question in that you love the car and it would be a keeper. I'd say invest in a Hartech investigation and re-build. Those guys can walk you through the options once they see whats going on inside. It may well be expensive but once done it will run like a new car and can be driven for many more years. That is what I would do.

Hope it works out for you...cheers :thumb:

John

Terminal bore score does not occur in just 4000 miles.

So I would be discussing their inspection with them.

Send it to Hartech and discuss options with them. They will possibly buy it off you if you can't pay for a rebuild.

Give them a call and discuss.

One other thing - nobody does the same bombproof process as Hartech so don't go to anyone else.

Some good advice, thanks guys. I think it has to be Hartech then. Got to be done.

Ill take it to Jaz on Thursday just to see what they say but i think its Cactus unfortunately.

redbaron1973 said:
Terminal bore score does not occur in just 4000 miles.

So I would be discussing their inspection with them.

I did - as expected they were sympathetic but they offer no guarantees once the Inspection is done....

alex yates said:
One other thing - nobody does the same bombproof process as Hartech so don't go to anyone else.

Not entirely true Alex, there are a handful of very good rebuilders in UK who will do just as good a job, it's just Hartech have a powerful marketing machine behind them. One of the reasons why they cost a bit more. I do appreciate they are the 'leader' in this space, but there are other options.

Depending on where the OP is located, he'll find a couple of very good, warrantied rebuilders in South East area. I did.

alex yates said:
Send it to Hartech and discuss options with them. They will possibly buy it off you if you can't pay for a rebuild.

Give them a call and discuss.

^What Alex says plus, if you ever did decide to sell/trade the car, there is no one 'in the know' who would question a Hartech rebuild.

PHS said:
alex yates said:

Not entirely true Alex, there are a handful of very good rebuilders in UK who will do just as good a job, it's just Hartech have a powerful marketing machine behind them. One of the reasons why they cost a bit more. I do appreciate they are the 'leader' in this space, but there are other options.

Depending on where the OP is located, he'll find a couple of very good, warrantied rebuilders in South East area. I did.

Even if they are a 'bit' more expensive I'd still use Hartech for the small extra outlay and be happy that real experts had carried out the work

How long have you had the car? Did you get it from JAZ?

Surely if they did work, but its now knackered again, their work is HIGHLY suspect? There is no way I wouldn't be screaming the house down, this is no way acceptable? How about giving us the back history?

Hartech are the best, but there are others who are very very good. There are also a load of cowboys, so I would say Hartech are your first port of call, give Baz a ring. His opinion on what was done previously will be very useful as well.

PHS said:
alex yates said:

Not true! Nobody & I mean nobody, does the same process as Hartech.

Not saying there aren't good 'others' out there, just they don't do it the same way with the same parts.

As for the marketing, what powerful machine do they have behind them?

Proof is in the pudding and that's why they do so well. Find an internet story where a Hartech rebuild has failed. And you think their prices are down to heavily investing in marketing or did you just make that up?

PHS said:
alex yates said:

I agree, particularly good one in Berkshire I can think of.

I would also love to see the marketing department.... Have you seen their website??

Hartech repairs 997 engines - that's all they do.
They spent/invested in research and designed a very good solution to a problem.
And now they repair 997 engines day in, day out.

They are genuine great guys who provide a great product.

From what I saw when I visited them after my issues, they are the genuine article and treated me with openness and honesty. There may be other experiences out there but everybody I know is who used them or who posts here seems to have had the same experience - and I haven't heard of a broken hartech engine.

There are other reputable companies that offer a similar product - at around the same price. If you know and trust a mechanic, use them.
There are also plenty of companies offering a repair at a lower price - your choice but again, if you know is and trust them use them

You could try Sid at Porschetorque in Uxbridge, he's rebuilt a lot of engines and is more local than Hartech for you

Dan, soory to hear the news mate, I am a bit concerned that after it was inspected only 4 months ago something has happened but until you get it inspected you cant be sure that somethink hasnt broken thats caused it rather than just a shoddy diagnosis of a borescope inspection . but I would after getting the facts then approach the guys that did the PPI and borescope only 4k miles ago the min I would expect was a refund of the inspection cost as they havent done you a good service if it turns out to be regular type boresore as that just wouldnt happen in 4000 miles .
On a positive note you are planning on keeping it for 5 plus years therefore we are talking 2.5k per annum for the rebuild and a few services which equates to quite reasonable running costs to drive a 911 .and as the depreciation is minimal on these cars you wont end up spending any more than you would lose in depreciation over 5 years on pretty much any othe marque. So effectivly giving you 911 motoring for BMW running costs . :grin: thats the cup half full answer and is exactilly how I look at 911 ownership. If its any consolation my 997 gen2 has cost me nearly 7k since christmas , gearbox rebuild , full set of coolant pipes , clutch and flywheel, Major Service , and thats without adding on the cost of mods :grin: :grin: and I have only had it a year and 12k miles. Still all those bits should now be good for another 60k miles :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back