Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 sport classic rear bumper buying and fitting advice.

andrewkite

Hi All,

I am after advice for the fitting and buying of the rear bumper on the sport classic.

I have got a 997 c4s gen 1. Ducktail, gt2 side skirts and GTS bumper installed with sport classic lip spoiler. So i am more of less there but the rear bumper.

Porsche will not sell me the bumper unless i have a picture to show my bumper is damaged, and a picture of the VIN number to prove i own a sport classic. But the cost was around £450.

But since the will not sell it to me the only option i have come up with is Teile.com but costs are just over £1000 delivered to the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-ORIG...147469?hash=item25f958f84d:g:ekwAAOSweltbIolh

I am thinking of just paying the extra, But first i wanted to check if it would fit. I know the exhaust tips are different but thinking this would not be to hard to sort.

Is there any other issues ? Mine is a gen 1 so would the rear lights need to be swapped ? Would all the mounting holes line up ?

I have bought a GT2 bumper which i was told would be a straight fit LMAO. So wanted to check this time before i purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• dsc_03271_258.jpg
    dsc_03271_258.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,326
  • dsc_03281_308.jpg
    dsc_03281_308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,326
Can't help with the bumper question but once you have it sorted you then just need the stripes !

I got mine from Design Stuff Online

Attachments

• img_3935_177.jpg
    img_3935_177.jpg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 2,304
Andrew have you got PSE if not then you should be able to remove the twin tis and fit a single tip aka sport classic D911 were showing them although expensive.. Bloody Porsche and their closed stock items I had the same trying to buy parts from a 918 edition 997 turbo. you sound lie you are doing the same as I would and did and finding the parts elsewhere even though you are paying extra. dont these people understand that 911 owners will not accept NO as an answer :grin: :grin: It does look like tiele are the best option as there genuine one is not much more than D911 GRP replica part . although I did like D911s sport classic outer roof panel for about £1k :thumb: :thumb: also I am assuming you have it in mind to fit gen2 rear lights :thumb:

It is possible but it's not a straight swap. You will need a pair of gen 2 rear lights and a rear end control unit (located under the passenger seat). The lights will need to be coded to the car.

The sports classic rear bumper sits about 1.5 cm lower at the bottom edge compared to your gen 1 bumper. This means you will need to fabricate some brackets to support it along the bottom mounting points. Another implication of this is that the tailpipes will need adapting to sit a bit lower (alternatively the muffler outlet pipes will need to be modified downwards). It won't work with the sports exhaust in standard form as that has twin outlets each side.

The new bumper will foul the side heatshield frames so you can either buy some Sport Classic heatshields at about £400 each or cut a bit out of your existing frames to give the necessary clearance. You will also need a gem 2 bumper attachment strip to mount it at the top edge, about £50 but the same for all gen 2 cars they do come up second hand from time to time.

Only works with C4 or C4S, no go on a C2.

HTH

You will also need to buy some plastic bumper trims - one for each exhaust outlet and one for each air vent - about £200 new but at least Porsche sell these without restrictions.

J Holmes said:
It is possible but it's not a straight swap. You will need a pair of gen 2 rear lights and a rear end control unit (located under the passenger seat). The lights will need to be coded to the car.

The sports classic rear bumper sits about 1.5 cm lower at the bottom edge compared to your gen 1 bumper. This means you will need to fabricate some brackets to support it along the bottom mounting points. Another implication of this is that the tailpipes will need adapting to sit a bit lower (alternatively the muffler outlet pipes will need to be modified downwards). It won't work with the sports exhaust in standard form as that has twin outlets each side.

The new bumper will foul the side heatshield frames so you can either buy some Sport Classic heatshields at about £400 each or cut a bit out of your existing frames to give the necessary clearance. You will also need a gem 2 bumper attachment strip to mount it at the top edge, about £50 but the same for all gen 2 cars they do come up second hand from time to time.

Only works with C4 or C4S, no go on a C2.

HTH

You will also need to buy some plastic bumper trims - one for each exhaust outlet and one for each air vent - about £200 new but at least Porsche sell these without restrictions.

Or based on the amount of effort and cost outlined above...you could leave your existing bumper :eek: . I suspect only true aficionados would notice the difference anyway.

systech1 said:
I suspect only true aficionados would notice the difference anyway.

To be honest, most people who actually know what a SportClassic is will instantly know that it isn't one from the absence of the double bubble roof panel (another item that Porsche will not sell you without a VIN and damaged part), so there really is a question as to how far it is worth going with a conversion to emulate one. Unless you are going all the way (including the mandatory dark brown interior) it is questionable as to whether doing the rear bumper is really worthwhile IMHO, but to each their own - have it how you want it. :thumb:

HI, Sorry I missed these posts.

Thanks for all your help. I am glad i asked : )

To be honest i have a great looking GT2 bumper which i already own, So i am thinking since the classic bumper is not a straight forward fit i may just carry on with the GT2 bumper fitting.

I can have a custom exhaust made up, So that part is sorted ( just payment )

Can anyone help with the wheel arch linner - exhaust sheld - side mounting ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back