Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone have thoughts on Mobil1 5w50 oil?

Chrali

Apologies in advance for an oil thread, as this is a topic that usually garners much debate, but does anyone have thoughts on Mobil1 5w50 :?:

Whilst its a thicker viscosity than my Cayenne specifies, it does seem to carry Porsche A40 approval.

I guess I'm interested in knowing if the extra viscosity provides more of a safeguard against Cayenne engine scoring problems, let alone the advertised claims of benefits on higher mileage vehicles; less oil burning I assume?

I'm a litre down, so not sure if the service mechanic didn't fill it, or I've 'lost' it :dont know: , but I'm tempted to give it a go next oil change.

https://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/fs-x1-5w-50.aspx?tabs=specifications#tabs

Chrali said:
Apologies in advance for an oil thread, as this is a topic that usually garners much debate, but does anyone have thoughts on Mobil1 5w50 :?:

Whilst its a thicker viscosity than my Cayenne specifies, it does seem to carry Porsche A40 approval.

I guess I'm interested in knowing if the extra viscosity provides more of a safeguard against Cayenne engine scoring problems, let alone the advertised claims of benefits on higher mileage vehicles; less oil burning I assume?

I'm a litre down, so not sure if the service mechanic didn't fill it, or I've 'lost' it :dont know: , but I'm tempted to give it a go next oil change.

https://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/fs-x1-5w-50.aspx?tabs=specifications#tabs

Several threads on here with people's thoughts on differing thickness of oil. Search the forum and you will be able to read their views.

It is advised on engines over 50k to use a thicker viscosity oil ,If your inclined to stay with Mobil then yes change to that would be a good idea. if you are open to other options then millers nano plus 10w50 is what a lot of us use in our cars and is what Hartech recommend :thumb:

deMort said:
I would recomend 5/40 mobile oil .. 0/40 mobile if low milage .

For a Cayenne my own opinion is not to go above 5/40 .. ok for sports cars though .

Thats the view of the expert ,I would be going with that option :thumb: :thumb: and todays bit of learning for me that 4x4s shouldnt run above 5w40 I do love learning these new snippets of info. :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah I'd already read other peoples opinions, but hardly anyone seems to be using this oil in a Cayenne hence the question. I'll stick with 5w40.
Thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back