Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil found on inner front left wing - any ideas

P911X50

Hi

I've found oil on the inside of my nearside front wheel. Any ideas what this could be? :dont know:

is it very thick, almost tar like ? if so probably split CV boot.

If so its the grease from the CV joint being thrown out through the split

Split cv boot usually leaves a ring of grease around the inside perifery of the alloy.

Is it a tip? Doesn't the tip have an oil rad up front? My 850i once sprung a leak like that and it was the oil pipe from box to rad.

You've got AC pipes there as well which can look wet if they spring a leak although doesnt really look oily.

Thanks Folks,

The oil/fluid starts from right from very the top of the suspension mounting/shock absorber, there was a rubber nipple, I recall, could that be the culprit?

I did check the rubber gaiter and they all seemed fine. Hope this helps?

Thanks

I've also remember noticing that it has taken off some paint. Possibly brake fluid or maybe Pentosin?

Brake fluid is extremely powerful at paint removal, yes.

Sounds like your n/s/f shock absorber is leaking .. fluid will come out from under the bellows or below the bump stop .. lift bellows and take a picture if possible for us to confirm .

If a brake fluid leak then you need to get it checked asap .. the pedal should be soft by now .

Also as mentioned .. brake fluid is corrosive .. you dont want it on any paintwork !

Some pictures please :)

Thanks,

I'm back home on Wednesday night. I do remember the front knocking a little when driving over speed bumps. Is the fluid in the shocker corrosive?

I will post pics Thursday morning

Im not sure im afraid .. i dont think so , it doesnt really spread that far to reach the bodywork .. brake fluid is if left on paint work .... but if it was that i think you would have very poor brakes by now .

P911X50 said:
Is the fluid in the shocker corrosive?

I don't know as Damper fluid isn't something you really come into contact with but they are both hydraulic fluids so I wouldn't risk it - wash it off well with plenty of detergent, ideally I would use my pressure washer.

Hi

As promised. please see picture from nearside front. I had steamed cleaned and painted the inside wing, removing wheel liners etc. So it was very clean before this appeared. Any ideas where this is coming from?

Attachments

• porsche_leak_117.jpg
    porsche_leak_117.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 3,126

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back