Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil leak, your opinions please ** NOW WITH PICS**

Hi Guys,

ive owned my 1998 996 for 6 years. up to now, it has not had any signs of oil leaks. On its last service, they flagged up a slight leak.
The leak is directly under the engine, around 2 ft from the rear end.
When driven, there are spots of oil deposited on the rear bumper.
Once parked up, I have shoved cardboard underneath and there are drips immediately(in the same place, not in various spots)
When left overnight, there doesn't seem to be much more oil on the card (ie it seems it isn't leaking once its stood)

The engine bay itself is dry of oil.

could you give me any ideas what you think may be the culprit.

A friend had a similar problem, turned out to be the sump seal. Is this likely?

Cheers in advance
Chris

Attachments

• 1_212.jpg
    1_212.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,587
  • 2_742.jpg
    2_742.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,587
Any chance of a photo so that us less educated than DeMort might get a chance to offer assistance.
MC

It does look like sump. I would give it a really good clean and then see if it easier to locate. It has clearly spread a lot.

MC

Looks like it's around the sump drain, did they put a new washer on during the service.

I would go with RMS as it looks like the leak is at the back of the engine/front of car and tracking along the sump.

As said before it needs a good clean then you might stand a chance of seeing where i's coming from.

UPDATE.

The leak is solved and repaired. It was a failed cam tensioner seal. £130 all-in, so one of the cheaper fixes!

Thanks for your attention guys.

Thanks for coming back with the diagnosis. I have a moist patch in the same area on my engine, can you tell me what was involved in the repair? Can you just undo the tensioner and remove it and replace the seal, or do you need to lock the cams first?

Hi Martin,

my mechanic did the job, so I cant help on that front unfortunately.

it was 1.5hr job, a seal and oil top-up £130.00

I hope you get yours sorted. mine started as a damp oily patch, but quickly became a drip.

chris

Martin996RSR said:
Thanks for coming back with the diagnosis. I have a moist patch in the same area on my engine, can you tell me what was involved in the repair? Can you just undo the tensioner and remove it and replace the seal, or do you need to lock the cams first?

I would lock the cams before removing the tensioner.

Move to tdc then 8mm drill bit to secure crank
flick out cam end plug and check slot alignment.
insert cam lock tool.

You need the right tool for your 3 or 5 chain engine. I made one for mine- see my clutch / fly / imsb cover thread in sig

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back