Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Black air vents

nikos525

Monza
So finishing off my black on black interior & nearly completed the transformation to the dark side :D :starwars:
So I got my vents back today, they were painted in piano black to match my centre stack.
I decided to do the cup holder and the small bits either side of the steering wheel dipped in carbon - I've got real carbon wing mirror interior fillets so I thought to tie those pieces together.
Anyone thinking to do this the vents can be pulled apart, but you will break the clips on them 99% of the time, my paint guy just taped them up very meticulously as it was the only way to be done without breaking anything, it took him nearly 1hr per vent :eek:
Some before and after pics and I'll get some more up once I get them installed :thumb:

Attachments

• img_3535_743.jpg
    img_3535_743.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4,631
  • img_3532_503.jpg
    img_3532_503.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4,631
  • img_3531_467.jpg
    img_3531_467.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4,631
  • img_3530_130.jpg
    img_3530_130.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 4,631
  • img_3529_107.jpg
    img_3529_107.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4,631
Looks nice, am thinking of doing mine but to colour code with the rest of interior parts etc but am still thinking..

Was it easy to take off?

J

Hi J, they are easy to pull out of the dash, you can pull them apart but you will break some of the tabs holding them together, you could always glue them together once painted, I just didn't want to risk breaking the tabs.

Will be great to see what they look like in situ 8)

Looks great.
Love to see some pics once reinstalled.

Any directions to remove from dash though please?

Im likeing the look of these .. as others have said .. pictures when fitted please :D

To remove them its 2 small flat blade screwdrivers or pointed picks .. move the flaps and look inside and at the top .. there is a small tab with a square hole in it .. insert the picks so the it pulls the tabs inwards and towards the vent slats .. it then either pulls out of needs a bit of leverage with a plastic trim tool .

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/184524-air-vent-removal.html

Nik, another lovely personalized mod , looks great mate in Piano . :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbs:
I will get some pics posted up later today, I thought I would post pics of the clips so everyone can understand how they come out of the dash.
As deMort said, you will need picks to pull them out, I used two metal picks to simultaneously pull the clips down, through the vents, and then gently pry the vent away from the dash so as not to damage the leather.
As to pulling them apart you can see the silver clips that hold them into place, I tried playing with lifting them, but gave up & as I said even the guy that painted them didn't want to risk breaking them.
I won't install the side vents yet as the little clips inside that move the vents left and right were broken when I bought the car & I don't know if I can order them from Porsche, either way I will 3d print the clips before finishing off the install.

Attachments

• img_3543_190.jpg
    img_3543_190.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4,484
  • img_3544_149.jpg
    img_3544_149.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4,484
deMort said:
Im likeing the look of these .. as others have said .. pictures when fitted please :D

To remove them its 2 small flat blade screwdrivers or pointed picks .. move the flaps and look inside and at the top .. there is a small tab with a square hole in it .. insert the picks so the it pulls the tabs inwards and towards the vent slats .. it then either pulls out of needs a bit of leverage with a plastic trim tool .

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/184524-air-vent-removal.html

Thanks DeMort!

Nik, on my gen1 the vent adjusters broke on two of them . I couldnt get the parts new so I brought some ebay used volcano grey ones from a non S Carrera as they were cheaper and stripped them to re use the parts for my galvarno silver S ones its very very fiddly and took my tech ages to mess about and do but it can be done mate. :thumb: :thumb:

So installed the centre vent, the cup holder cover and the trim strips under the instruments.
For me it updates the interior no end from the old silver OEM look.
I'm not too happy about the cup holder but it will do for now.
I'll get some better pics once I've fitted the side vents & pull her out into the sun :D

Attachments

• img_3536_822.jpg
    img_3536_822.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 4,426
  • img_3540_111.jpg
    img_3540_111.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4,426
  • img_3542_207.jpg
    img_3542_207.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 4,426
Phil 997 said:
Nik, on my gen1 the vent adjusters broke on two of them . I couldnt get the parts new so I brought some ebay used volcano grey ones from a non S Carrera as they were cheaper and stripped them to re use the parts for my galvarno silver S ones its very very fiddly and took my tech ages to mess about and do but it can be done mate. :thumb: :thumb:
Thanks Phil, that's what I thought would be the deal with the clips, hence I'm knocking up a primative 3d print of the clips to slide them in and voila, job done :D

Nik looking gook and liking the alcantara lower dash , I did the same mate. what dont you like about the cup holder is it the fit or is it that the carbon would be better as Black like the rest or is it you just need some more interior carbon to bring it together . :dont know:

Thanks Phil, the alcantara really changes the interior.
So the cup holder, you can't really see that it has a carbon look to it, sought of disappears colour wise and just looks black.
Maybe once I get her out in the sun I might change my mind.
The other thing with this mod is that when you switch on the headlights you can no longer see the interior vent light, which is no big deal for me but might be for others.

Nice job! I've done lots of interior mods and thought I was done but maybe not :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back