Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gaaah. Serpentine snapped.

mkoenigsheim

Monza
Please opinions.

Driving n Italy -halfway up Stelvio pass..power steering want. Them water temp error.

Drove 200m to hotel slowly *oil temp was ok.

Coolant white smoke everywhere.

Look in enging bay -the serpentine belt is gone 😥

Anybody experienced this? Car going to Porsche on AA truck tomorrow morning.

Is this a gen 2 ?

These have a problem with the tensioner seizeing and can cause some damage if thats snapped off .

I take it the coolant came out of the resevoir cap ? .. if it came out of the exhaust then thats not good .

Any idea what temp the coolant got to ?

Hopefully its just a belt .. but they dont normally go without a reason .

Yeah gen 2.
And yes the coolant came out of the cap only.

I really hope it is just wear - temp indicator went to red -130 I think. But from steering fail to stop I probably went 1km -full power though...

Just checked with my co pilot.. actually when power steering went I probably did half a mile and stopped..

Ok .. without pictures i would be guessing ...

I could post the bad side but i think its best just to say .. i hope its just a belt failure or the tensioner has not snapped but worked loose.

Trust me it can happen and a new tensioner and belt were all that was required .

Fingers crossed .

This has happened to me on my other car: the aux. belt failed, the tensioner dropped down onto the crankshaft pulley, and both got mangled. The repair was easy enough: just replace the whole lot. I was lucky that the engine didn't overheat. But it was a bit crap: we'd just got to the track, I was on my out lap....

Dann! Yeah this was day 1 of a roadtrip up and down mountains..

Am sitting in AA truck.now..

Drove the car into the flatbed- running smooth. Apart from. No power steering..

Soooooo.

All fixed. Excellent help from Porsche Bolzano -halfway day turnaround including a 2 hour lunch.

Issue was 2 things - sticky pulley and the tensioner was rusted and not fully holding the belt tight.

Luckily nothing else broken so a quick fix and motorway down to Garda to catch up with the rest of the group!

Great result :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back