Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tracking a 993

hopeydaze

I know all the things 993 owners no longer do - drive the car in winter, go out when there's a cloud in the sky, add to the mileage etc.

However, mine's high mileage and fun to drive so I'm not so precious about it. Does anyone still take a 993 on track - I've signed up for the PCGB day at Snetterton later this month

:thumbs:

was at the Nurburging back in April

911uk are going to be at Donington in July and Brands Hatch in August :thumb:

Attachments

• rk2_3015_a_199.jpg
    rk2_3015_a_199.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4,410
Mine get gets used properly, just seems taboo to discuss it on here for some reason :floor:

:yeah: although I do take mine off the road when the winter salt hits.

C.

:yeah: Me too. It comes out of the garage in March and doesn't go back in 'till November (except when we go on holiday)
.....though it does sleep under a car port

I don't track it though, as I have use of a race prepared Cossie of my brothers when he does book track time :thumb:

Took mine around Blyton a couple of times as it's fairly easy going as tracks go.
Car was acceptable on track, not the quickest track car I've had or been in but fun.

911UK said:

Great picture Sundeep 👍👍👍

Mines done 60,000 miles of Nurburgring and trackdays, currently on 126,000 miles and never even had a top end rebuild. :thumb:

OP here. Inspired by the posts here I decided to go on track. Snetterton booked (105db) and I was about to book the 911Uk evening at Brands (102db).

Got the exhaust checked today at Castle Combe - s**t - 107db at 4500rpm

I have a Scart exhaust purchased by the previous owner and installed by Jaz about 3 years ago. The guys at Combe said the silerncers have no sound deadening in them and cannot be refilled.

Also, I have oval exhaust tips. The bolt on silencers need round tips and won't work with the current set up.

you might be even louder as bunch of tracks do the static test at 3/4 of full revs...which for our cars is aprox 5000rpm (5025rpm)

Don't believe 100% the sound levels castle combe gave you, they are known to over egg it there. My T70 was 105db at combe but never more than 102db tested at any other circuit.
Might be worth getting it checked elsewhere . Bookatrack used to loan out a db meter or perhaps pop to a test day elsewhere.
If it is 107db static tested then you'll probably need to replace cats and or silencers unless you just pay to go on noisy days.

Of course the silencers can be refilled. I had mine done locally with other internal mods. They were some oem ones with cracks around the welds. it's like taking the top off an egg. They were opened up the old stuffing removed (horrible stuff) Some minor mods to improve gas flow, refilled and welded back together. http://www.pipewerx.com/
I currently have 3 sets.
Fabspeed on the car, Dansk sports (too droney) and my oem modded ones not tried them.
You could find some std tips or anything cheap on ebay and get them to put curved tips on to point at the ground. It's pretty effective and cheap.
Most of the modded silencers have internal baffles removed (creates droning) and are fitted with a curved perforated pipe (similar to turbo) sometimes with the internal bypass pipe enlarged (noise increased) (motorsound mod)

Attachments

• motorsound_711.jpg
    motorsound_711.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 4,046
at least one track day a year for me in the 993. doesn't seem to do it any harm, just seems to run better for it. pcgb Anglesey was great this year and track totally clean as usual so no worries with paint damage. obviously car needs to be mechanically in good condition and I change brake fluid every year. there's no substitute for being able to use the car flat out, practise your heal and toe technique and build up to feeling like your getting near the limit on some of the faster corners.

pcgb track days are mainly new stuff now and loads of gt3's but they are run very well and I've always felt the 993 was as safe as you can be on track. mine on track last year at Anglesey...

https://youtu.be/V6g8vWyo8ec

911UK said:

Note, that from what was a completely standard set up

I've replaced the OEM Monroe Shocks and M030 springs and Anti Roll Bar

with Bilstein Pss10 shocks and springs on H&R Anti roll bars
with RennLine front and Rear Top Mounts
Poly Bushed the front wishbones and renewed and replaced most of the suspension compenents
along with C4 engine mounts and an RS geometry (but with the front lower)

then I've just fitted a complete OEM RS light weight single mass flywheel and clutch
then replaced the OEM diff with a Wavetrac Differential

it now drives much better :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back