Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Petrol price's not as high as suggested.

easternjets

Paul Ricard
With all the talk in the media about petrol prices going up and up it's interesting to see that Crude Oil prices are lower now than they were a month ago. In fact they're at the same price now as they were in mid April.
I know they will argue that it takes time to filter through to the pumps but it's all the media hype that's annoying, especially when it's not actually a fact.

It is annoying that they can up the price overnight but it takes a week or more for them to come down :nooo:

They always put it up over the summer, standard protocol.

Dunno what most folk are fussing about though....its never been so good.

Example:

25 years ago I had a 1.6 Cavaliar. I used to get 300 mile off £30. Our 1.6 Golf takes £60 to fill it and does 600 mile......and its quicker. That doesn't even take into account inflation and what £30 would be in today's money - I'm guessing about £80. In fact, £80 in my Porsche gets me 300 mile.

Things have never been such good value for money!

Alex I'm not arguing about the value for money, we all agree that we get more from a tank than we used to, the cars are faster etc etc.
This is about the oil companies milking us for the same tank of fuel but at an over inflated price.

Sorry Nick, comment wasn't directed at you. Just other recent posts on here and what I see in the world around me. Laughable when I see people in cars costing a fair dollop and then moan over what amounts to some shrapnel in their back sack.

alex yates said:

Example:

25 years ago I had a 1.6 Cavaliar. I used to get 300 mile off £30. Our 1.6 Golf takes £60 to fill it and does 600 mile......and its quicker. That doesn't even take into account inflation and what £30 would be in today's money - I'm guessing about £80. In fact, £80 in my Porsche gets me 300 mile.

I can see the logic in this, food prices are also a lot lower, however the major factor here is that the average joe's income compared to their mortgage, council tax, fuel bills, phone bills etc. will be much more in comparison to 25 years ago.

I remember my father telling me about our first new house that he bought for £2.5k'ish around 40 years ago and he was earning £300/pw working for the NCB.
The wage to property gap has widened somewhat... :eek:

C.

The other problem that will start to kick in is the commodity brokers, Oil fell out of favour when it plummeted in price so they stopped trading heavily in it, hence the price dropped as much as it did. Once these guys get a whiff of a profit they will start speculating on it and that will artificially push up prices again. There are so many factors that have an impact on the price per litre that we pay, as it's just said on the news, prices go up quickly in response to Brent Crude but it isn't until there's a supermarket price war that prices start to come down.
I would say the government should do something about it but they're getting 70% of what we pay to build new runways, sorry motorways!

[quote="easternjets"
I would say the government should do something about it but they're getting 70% of what we pay to build new runways, sorry motorways![/quote]

Even worse than that Mate it to build unwanted HS2 so 6 fat businessmen from the North can get to their London club 20mins quicker , I genuinly wish I could see a possitive in HS2 other than creating jobs which renewing the road network would also do. :nooo: :nooo: can anyone tell me why consecutive governments have pressed ahead with HS2 its got very little public support has increased in cost hugely and doesnt seem to serve much of a purpose as most people on a train from the north to London are working on their laptops etc on the train so what would 20mins quicker achieve . If you must travel quicker the internal flights in the UK are quite good . :nooo: :nooo:

Sorry chums, im currently sat right on top of the super giant Rumaila oil field and I feel its our duty to consume as much of this stuff as possible. :thumb:
Porsches are pareticulary good at this.

Hoorah for high oil prices and long may they remain :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Long may the oil giants keep profiting and passing some of that wealth to the security companies that support them :bye:

spongebob squarepants said:
Sorry chums, im currently sat right on top of the super giant Rumaila oil field and I feel its our duty to consume as much of this stuff as possible. :thumb:
Porsches are pareticulary good at this.

Hoorah for high oil prices and long may they remain :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Long may the oil giants keep profiting and passing some of that wealth to the security companies that support them :bye:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

cableguy said:
alex yates said:

Example:

I can see the logic in this, food prices are also a lot lower, however the major factor here is that the average joe's income compared to their mortgage, council tax, fuel bills, phone bills etc. will be much more in comparison to 25 years ago.

I remember my father telling me about our first new house that he bought for £2.5k'ish around 40 years ago and he was earning £300/pw working for the NCB.
The wage to property gap has widened somewhat... :eek:

C.

This is a very valid point , Without giving my age away :grin: I remember fuel at 32p per gallon the lower wage was £18pw and you could buy 4 pints for £1 this means you could buy 54 gallons or 72 pints ,so based on that assume a similar job today pays £8ph = £320pw so it would buy you today aprox 54 gallons or 90 pints which means fuel costs have tracked wages over the past 45 years and today you can buy more beer for your money than 45 yrs ago .this confirms we have never had it so good :grin: :grin:

Rumaila Oil field, seem to remember going there many years ago, is that near to Kuwait?

Don't worry, you keep ensuring a steady flow and we'll keep buying it!

Yes agree with you Phil, they seem to be obsessed with HS 2, you can guarantee one thing and that is whatever the quoted price is now it will be double that by the time they build it, if it ever gets built.
Government contracts seem to be the Golden Ticket to untold wealth, I knew someone who was involved in the 2 aircraft carriers that are being built and apparently the penalty clauses in the contract meant that if the Government cancelled the order they would pay more than the cost of building the vessels, how can you lose with odds like that!

easternjets said:
Rumaila Oil field, seem to remember going there many years ago, is that near to Kuwait?

Yes agree with you Phil, they seem to be obsessed with HS 2, you can guarantee one thing and that is whatever the quoted price is now it will be double that by the time they build it, if it ever gets built.
Government contracts seem to be the Golden Ticket to untold wealth, I knew someone who was involved in the 2 aircraft carriers that are being built and apparently the penalty clauses in the contract meant that if the Government cancelled the order they would pay more than the cost of building the vessels, how can you lose with odds like that!

Shocking that any Govenment would /could sign up to a deal like that ,I can only assume some very very big sweetners are offered to certain people in key govenment roles. who in any normal business enviroment would sign up to penalties bigger than the contract worth . mmmm probably the same people who build an aircraft carrier but cant afford any aircraft for it. the sad thing is these are the people we vote into make the desisions that are in our best interest :eek: any no matter what decade or which party they are all pretty much the same . self serving , incompedent , time wasting messers. most would not survive long in a real commercial enviroment . or is the other theory right which is that the politicians actually have no power or control they are just puppets and everything is controlled, planned and implemented by the civil servants who are the same people who ever's puppets are in power. :dont know:

Puppets or muppets?

easternjets said:

Yep right on the border :thumb: So close Kuwait positioned their drills slightly on the p*ss and started to extract the Iraqi oil (leading to the invasion of Kuwait in 1990)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back