Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has anyone replaced a key recently? OPC the only option?

matt_SM

Hi all,

Nightmare scenario - my car key and garage fob were lost last weekend at a family BBQ. My house keys were in the car at the time which led to further dramas but I won't digress into that.

My aunt (hosting the BBQ) has searched high low, including her bins and moving furniture etc but no joy.
A week has now passed so it seems unlikely that the key will show up.

Attendees were family lifelong friends (no young children) so it is highly unlikely that the key is in wrong hands.

My local OPC has quoted £330 for the blade, fob and coding (which includes deactivation of the missing key). I'll have probably have to swallow this which is a pity, but I wondered whether anyone else has replaced their key and coded it via other means/suppliers? I am based in Chelmsford, Essex.

Thanks,
Matt

You need a NEW unused key head, as they come with a code for the remote part. A used one won't have the code. This will also come with a immobiliser transponder. You can get them from OPC or cheaper from eBay, Indies etc, make sure re it has the right number of buttons for your car.

The metal key can be cut from an image of an existing, they work out the code from the image and cut a new perfect key. See eBay for HAA key cutters. Cheaper to do this than OPC supply.

Then you need the remote and immobiliser coding to the car.

Either A) OPC B) some Indies do it C) an auto locksmith removes your body module from under the seat, and directly edits the memory of the system.

Nobody seems to have cracked the Porsche module to code them by OBD unlike similar generation vw / Audi etc.

Your best option is to ring a few local Indies and see if they have the kit and permissions from Porsche to do it.

The way an opc does it is
Order key blade from parts dept quoting vin no so the blade works
Order blank key head

This is the bit an independent can't get
Order Ipass from Porsche
This gives the codes to program into the key head

Hence the price from an opc and why an Indy can't do it

wasz said:
Your best option is to ring a few local Indies and see if they have the kit and permissions from Porsche to do it.

I often code keys , Ipas is either by a friendly OPC .. they dont want to loose the parts business we supply them or the customer gives us a V5 copy and with that the OPC Will give the ipas ( its the customers details and property after all ).

If an Indy has payed for Porsche access then its just down loaded .

Its then just coded on .

key blade is the pain , you can order from Porsche but it takes ages and it will be the original for the car so if its ever had a lock set replacement then it wont fit .

Photo of old key plus a local key maker is the other way .

Give Express keys 01689 850008 (near Orpington, Kent) a call.
They can supply a blank and have someone to code Porsche keys,
cheaper than OPC. I think they quoted £270 (from memory) when I was in there last week to get some motorbike immobiliser keys cut.
Very helpful shop.

Just ordered a replacement / additional key (as I've only ever had one) from Porsche Teesside who have quoted £220.95, for the blade, fob and coding. My car is a pre-2000 so qualifies for the 'classic' rates now.

Just had service conduced too - very good customer service and appraisal of car from the technician etc.

I think I must have had ~6 key replacement in the last couple of years - because I purchased an original replacement pair from the OPC, all subsequent failures and replacements have bene covered for free under their basic parts warranty..... not sure if you are more or less likely to have issues with subsequent failure from a different supply, but "warranty" could still be a worthwhile consideration if it comes down to splitting hairs on price

I have been thinking about this recently - surely there must be a generic wireless security module that could be supplied off the shelf?
The downside would be that you need to have a generic remote module that attaches to your keyring, next to the metal key, but on the positive side, you would have a security unit installed in your car that is 20 years younger (on a 996) and probably better in every way?

LOJO said:
I have been thinking about this recently - surely there must be a generic wireless security module that could be supplied off the shelf?
The downside would be that you need to have a generic remote module that attaches to your keyring, next to the metal key, but on the positive side, you would have a security unit installed in your car that is 20 years younger (on a 996) and probably better in every way?

Or even better, a more modern key head that works on the car's ECU that could be coded instead of the ludicrous £220 OPC ones that break after 5 minutes due to poor design?!

Exactly. And three buttons instead of two on the sender unit, so you can be sure whether you just locked it or unlocked it.

Maybe DeMort knows, or anyone else here:

The 996 key is:
Delphi 433mhz
Megamos iD48 crypto transponder

The Audi A3 key is:
Applications
Audi A3 2002 - 2005
Technical Specifications
KeyDIY Audi Style 3 Button Remote
Frequency 433MHZ
Transponder Megamos Grypto ID48

Why cant I use this instead? My Golf Mk4 had its first set of keys from the showroom still both in use and working perfectly (bar batteries) when I sold it not too long ago. My 996 has a box of broken keys, and a single working one (which I know is the 3rd set coded already)..!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back