Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top mount and bearing replacement on a C2

IanG1

Monza
I think I have tracked down my steering squeak to the near side top mount and bearing area. Sprayed in some lube and now only have a slight click when rocking the steering wheel. My question is can these be changed without the need for removing the strut from the car. I have H&R springs so the springs are shorter? is there sufficient clearance to replace the parts once the damper rod nut is released etc anyone done it this way?

Chris at CG replaced the bumpstops and lubed up my top mounts last year, all done without removing the struts so yes I believe it's possible...

Just changing the struts on mine and one of the top mounts was seized solid onto the old strut. Last off 2010. You'll probably be fine. Fitted new Sachs top mounts from Autodoc - 1/2 the price of UK sourced mounts.

Ian

Did you change the bearing as well as the mounts? Or do they strip apart for a clean and regrease?

Just cleaned and regreased - really smooth still. The bearing sits in a metal collar, one of which was really rusty and swollen so I replaced it.

Bearings dead easy to take apart and pretty obvious how they go back together.

Ian

I did mine the other week - I compressed the spring in situ and then replaced the top mount and the bearing. Have read others had good luck re-greasing theirs, however I didnt want to have to do the whole job again, if it turned out my bearings were beyond repair, so did them whilst I was there.

Attachments

• 15256968248610_112.jpg
    15256968248610_112.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 2,261
Kingb4 said:
I did mine the other week - I compressed the spring in situ and then replaced the top mount and the bearing. Have read others had good luck re-greasing theirs, however I didnt want to have to do the whole job again, if it turned out my bearings were beyond repair, so did them whilst I was there.

Unistrut has so many uses!

911tom said:
Unistrut has so many uses!

I was going to weld up a platform to mount the spring compressors, but this quick-fix worked a treat......its great stuff!

Update, its my bottom coffin arm ball joint. Parts on order so hopefully sorted soon

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back