Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Gen Cayenne Turbo's

kingston

Barcelona
Hello,

My Subaru is dying and doesnt have much longer to live (rings gone by the looks of it), so Long Live the King.

However, as i need a replacement car im considering the first Gen Cayenne Turbo's but know little about them really (and yes ill be googling it tonight) but are there anything one should be aware of?

Thanks

yeah, £6k gets you into one but then will it have £6k worth of work need doing to it?

now im commuting back into London im doing very little mileage at the moment and the MPG doesnt seem to be any different to the Scooby

Im not sure im the best person to answer this .. i only see the bad ones ..

They can have engine issues along with the V8 S .. bore score basically.

They can have Turbo issues which is an engine out job to replace .

Coolant pipes under the mainifold need to have been done .. got one in at work atm .. 03 , 78K and they have let go .. not cheap .

Water leaks can effect all Cayennes .. the carpet is so thick you dont realise untill you have electrical faults .. pull up the carpets and check them guys !

Center propshaft bearing .. but at least the cost of a prop has dropped well below the £1k it used to be .

Various electrical faults . leaking rear washers at the o/s/f A post causeing Water to drip onto the Vesa .. basically an expensive control unit .

BUT .. Get a good one .. and they are awesome !!!!

Fuel economy aside .. bloody great cars .. i love them .

They may be cheap but i feel a ppi is warrented on them .. you REALLY dont want a bad one .

I bought an 08 turbo last week. Came with full Porsche Service history so hopefully its a good one....time will tell I guess. They are very fast and just keep on accelerating!!!

I`m not finding the seats particularly comfortable but that might just take a bit of playing around with. The ride on air suspension is good and I`m amazed how planted it feels going through the twisties. However mine has PDCC which is noticeably noisy at idle and a bit annoying but everything I read suggests that is normal.

Have been wanting to try one for a while so will run it for a year or so and see if I get bored.

I've only had mine a for under a month and has full history, but has got some unresolved issues that need to be investigated.

As for driving impressions the thing I notice is if you drive it as an automatic it feels quite tame; dare I say even a little disappointing. I find using the tiptronic really wakes it it up. I used it for the first time today just before getting on the throttle, before muttering 'mamma mia' and backing off once I got up to speed. The big bus likes to sprint. I swear it even felt like rear wheel drive as it felt pushed along!

Seat heaters are positively volcanic.

The seats feel a bit over firm initially, but I find them so comfortable I've only adjusted them the once when I got the car.

I don't have PDCC and prefer mine in comfort mode, but its still decent enough in the curves; for an SUV, but you are aware of the mass of the vehicle.

Bore scoring can affect turbos too, so avoid any cars where the engine makes a diesel like clacking noise.

I'm not at the trusting it stage yet, but I've moved on from worrying that it will break down the second I'm behind the wheel ;)

They do like a drink, my Turbo S is at 18 mpg which is thirstier than my BMW 760Li which averaged out 19.4 mpg!

Thanks for the comments, is that 18 on the motorway or combined?

Im noticing that alot (in my price bracket), are around the 100k mile mark. Do the cars need a big service then or something?

im hunting around for a buyers guide but there doesnt seem to be one out there

Its the normal service minor then major etc etc .

Minor = major service .. you replace the pollen filter on a major !

You have additional items as listed in the image .

People still have a phobia about 100k .. fair enough when i started the engine was just about finished at that milage .. not so today .. but as stated you do get issues and the higher the milage the more chance of that .

Btw .. ive got 11mpg on road test before ... :D

111 sales car so NOT a customers !

Attachments

• additional_items_1_111.jpg
    additional_items_1_111.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 3,663
My 18 mpg is combined on my 35 mile (each way) commute, although that is predominantly A roads including dual carriageways.

Mine has 122k miles on it, but I saw one with 70k sounding like a diesel. I'm not particularly fussed about 100k motors, as they've more likely to have been regularly run, fully warmed up on decent length journeys, instead of wrecked by lots of short journeys running cold and rich.

That said 120k is about my limit.

Thought id update the thread;

Ended up buying a Forester STI in the end.

I did view and test drove a CT but it just didnt do anything for me if you know what i mean? Maybe if i manually kicked it down a few gears before booting it i might have a change of opinion but just found the response abit slow.

I guess it didnt help that i arrived and had been buzzing about from the GT3.

Another thing i wasnt a fan off was the sunroof, or the letterbox that proclaims to be a sun roof anyway, though i did like the ski hatch in the middle seat.

So I have a Subaru Legacy GT (STI engine in it) My wife wants a SUV and I need a car I can use when I need to carry something (the 911 is a bit small)

thinking on a Cayenne or save up for a Mecan. I like the forester STI but my wife said it was to old....

that said she is a curb'er of wheels and parks the car into bush so not sure I want to expense car she would trash...

How's the STI?

I just wrote out a long paragraph but started to ramble.

What would you like to know?

I had a XT prior to this, which if your after a 'dog/tip/pottering' in car is probably better than the STI. Though it doesnt have the 6 speed box which it needs really.

Though i guess it depends on your budget and stuff.

Based on looks, for cars of the same age, i thought both the Q7 and STI (facelift) have aged better than the CT, Toerag. The infiniti doesnt look too bad but people say its not fun to drive

thx

that's the issue my wife potters... I don't trying to get the happy mix is not working

given me something to think about

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back