Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche brake discs and pads

Poker2009

Suzuka
My rear discs and pads are genuine Porsche, and have never been changed (currently on 57k miles), and still have another 10-20k miles left in them.

I changed my front pads (discs still original porsche) at around 40k miles to Pagids from ECP, and although I thought they were just as good, last few weeks I have noticed some squealing - they are still only about 50% worn. I never had any squealing on the original pads, they were just worn out at 40k miles.

The squealing has made me doubt whether I should ever use aftermarket pads or discs again, but genuine discs and pads are about triple the price.

Any comments?

Not sure genuine discs/pads mean no squealing. Squealing is a characteritsic of many parameters (friction material, pad thickness, disc thickness, caliper stiffness, contamination, lubrication, ambient temperature, disc/pad temperature, etc).

My C4S has been squealing like a London taxi since about 10K miles from new. The hotter the ambient temperature, the higher the level of squealing. OPC tells me it is a characteristic of the car and can show me the disclaimer in the handbook. :nooo:

Know a guy with a FK8 Honda Type R with Brembo brakes and it has squealed from new. So squealing may not be limited to just after-market parts.

Brakes are something I'd personally never go aftermarket with. When you amortise the cost over 40-60k miles (as you have been getting), it's not really that much more to get genuine ones.

Sebro discs and textar pads are OE. I'm sure you can get them from ECP.

Alfaian said:

Doubt it - people say that, I don't think it is actually true.

Poker2009 said:
Alfaian said:

Doubt it - people say that, I don't think it is actually true.

Who else do you think makes them.... Porsche themselves?

Obviously they have them made to their own compositions/specifications, by whoever wins the tender.

But this is complete nonsense that they are confirmed to be Sebro and Textar.

weebz said:
Who else do you think makes them.... Porsche themselves?

I read they are made by Stickle Bricks.

Attachments

• 612iqqleinl_sl1000__241.jpg
    612iqqleinl_sl1000__241.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,653
:grin: :grin: :grin:

Porsche do not make discs or pads them selves. They may arrive in a Porsche branded box but they are made by an external company.

I can't remember who actually makes them but think it may be Pagid.

benbuhagiar said:
I can't remember who actually makes them but think it may be Pagid.

I am pretty sure that it depends upon the model and the time. The Textar/Sebro thing came about because those companies supposedly have made the Porsche OE branded parts at some point, but IIRC that was in the air cooled days? Equally, Pagid certainly have also made the OE brake consumables for some models but I couldn't tell you with any certainty which OE branded items were made by which supplier for any given model but I do also recall hearing something unsubstantiated somewhere that the 997 OE was Pagid so that might indeed be correct.

As for squealing - that is generally a function mostly down to the pad compound and performance. OE pads much less likely to squeal but if you put them on the track then their longevity can be hilariously short, so it depends what you are looking for. The best pad that I have personally used was the Endless MX72 (no squealing on the road and very effective on track), but the comedy pricing on the fronts for my car just wasn't justifiable enough for another set once they were spent.

I did quite a bit of research on this matter, as I needed to keep OEM parts due to warranty, have a look at my findings here - http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=121056

The pads seem to be manufactured by different manufacturers, but the OE discs are only made by one company, SHW if I recall correctly and they are not available elsewhere from any 3rd parties (that I could find!).

Have you tried any high temp grease compounds? I replaced my anti-squeal shims for new as they were rotten and also applied a thin layer of CERATEC grease, between the shims and the pads. I don't have any problems with brake squeal.

Hope that helps!

I changed my front to the sebro /textar combo and get squealing on and off. Today was fine, tomorrow could bring about something completely different

TonyC911 said:
I did quite a bit of research on this matter, as I needed to keep OEM parts due to warranty, have a look at my findings here - http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=121056

The pads seem to be manufactured by different manufacturers, but the OE discs are only made by one company, SHW if I recall correctly and they are not available elsewhere from any 3rd parties (that I could find.

That is correct. SHW discs are not available outside of Porsche. They are the discs on the 996 Turbo. Maybe SHW for other models also, but I've heard Pagid are OEM, Seebro are OEM and Brembo also are OEM. They might be for some models for some model years, but not for a 996 Turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back