Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Damn : FM/AM Aerial not working after head unit replacement

petes

Well, I finally got around to replacing my PCM 2.1 with a lovely Pioneer AVIC over this nice long bank holiday weekend. In general, with use of a Connects2 kit for my Bose, steering wheel control and fascia, it all went really well. Routing the satnav cable through the grommet behind the battery was a pain in the ... back ... but the only problem I have is that I can't get the FM/AM aerial to work at all!

I've used a powered facra to ISO adaptor, made sure the adaptor's getting 12v from the antenna/amp trigger, but nothing happens - makes no difference if it's connected to the facra cable or not.

Any hints/tricks other problems people have had - I knew it wouldn't work without the powered adaptor, but just expected to plug that in and for it to work, but no joy. I tried plugging the old PCM back in, and that works fine, and got a replacement adaptor today, just in case, but no joy there either. Any clues - at a bit of a loss.....

ta

pete S

Same problem here, sorry i cant help, i also have a pioneer and tried the same things as you, i gave up in the end and just use dab for the radio, not ideal as i get patchy reception and would like FM to work.

antonio said:
Same problem here, sorry i cant help, i also have a pioneer and tried the same things as you, i gave up in the end and just use dab for the radio, not ideal as i get patchy reception and would like FM to work.

Hi Antonio

A problem shared is ... still a problem :-( I also tried giving a direct feed to pin 5 on the original loom - the one which was the antenna trigger, and using a non-powered facra adapter - still with no luck. I may go with a complete bypass and just fit a different aerial directly somewhere. Where did you do you DAB aerial. I tried under the plastic between the windscreen wipers - which would be OK, but doesn't work properly because of the need for it to be vertical really. Think I'm now going to try behind the trim on the a-pillar on the passenger side - see if that will work, and maybe fit an FM aerial in there as well.

pete S

Pete

I put a small dab aerial on top of the rear view mirror, its fairly discreet and does the job on most stations

Tony

I did mine a while ago so my memory is a little hazy but I vaguely recall that something in the electrical connections needs to be patched across.
I think power needed to be supplied to one of the wires that the interface didn't account for.
That got the aerial working.

Does that ring any bells with anyone else on here that has done this?

I also installed a windscreen type DAB aerial on the left hand side of the windscreen which works very well for me.

rob_p said:
I did mine a while ago so my memory is a little hazy but I vaguely recall that something in the electrical connections needs to be patched across.
I think power needed to be supplied to one of the wires that the interface didn't account for.
That got the aerial working.

Does that ring any bells with anyone else on here that has done this?

I also installed a windscreen type DAB aerial on the left hand side of the windscreen which works very well for me.

Thanks Rob. I wonder if the patch was to the white pin 5 cable, which on non-Bose cars is the amp trigger. Is you car Bose or not? If it's bose, can you remember if, after the patch, you still had to use an amplified facra adapter, or then just a normal one?

Hmmm. Let me think. I did have a bose car, I replaced the bose amp with a new amp and I did need to run a power signal to the new amp.
The white cable does ring a bell but I definitely didn't buy a powered fakra converter - just a regular (non powered) one.
Thinking it through - I think that the aerial is powered and I had to splice some power across from the new wiring to get the aerial to work.
I am sure I posted on here and received a response at the time.
I will have a look and see what I can find.

rob_p said:
Hmmm. Let me think. I did have a bose car, I replaced the bose amp with a new amp and I did need to run a power signal to the new amp.
The white cable does ring a bell but I definitely didn't buy a powered fakra converter - just a regular (non powered) one.
Thinking it through - I think that the aerial is powered and I had to splice some power across from the new wiring to get the aerial to work.
I am sure I posted on here and received a response at the time.
I will have a look and see what I can find.

Thanks Rob

Thanks everyone for their help. I've managed to get it sorted and working. As discussed, the trick for me at least is to use a non-powered fakra adaptor, and to provide power to the built in aerial amp by running power from the amp trigger from the head unit to the white cable on pin 5 of block 1 of the original wiring loom, which is the antenna power. Not powering this pin and using a powered amplified facra adaptor didn't work for me. The connects2 loom doesn't have this pin in their connector, so I've bought a mini iso ping repair kit for a few quid and I'll add it.

So, all working nicely now. Moving my DAB aerial to the passenger a-pillar seems to be the right place - need to pull that to pieces tomorrow to run the cables behind the glove box and behind the trim.

Getting their one step at a time :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back