Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie tiptronic ignition question

Grooster

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 2008 997 Carrera just this week. I absolutely love the car but I just seem to have one issue at the moment. Not every time but occasionally when I turn the ignition on in Park the ignition is just dead, as though the immobiliser is on. I can try again and again but nothing. The ignition works in the sense that it brings the electrics on but just doesn't attempt to turn the engine. If i switch it to neutral, it starts without a glitch, first time. Should I be starting the car in neutral. I've had auto cars for years and my main drive is a 2018 e class coupe auto and that starts in park. It seems to be worse if the car is warm. From cold it will nearly always start in Park.

The thing is the car has full opc history and was sold to me with the remainder of the 2 year opc warranty a previous owner bought for the car, it runs out in August. If this is a fault would this be covered under warranty if in fact it is a fault.

Like I say I am a newbie and I may be doing something wrong. If anybody can help, please let me know.

Thanks

Not wishing to offend, but whilst in Park do you have your foot pushing the brake pedal when turning the key.

Yeah, foot on the brake pedal every time. If you don't if warns you on the dash. One thing I don't know much about is the oil check on the display. Should I wait for the check to complete before starting or not?

When it does that again try starting it in neutral as the inhibitor switch can sometimes be problematic and this test will prove that. :thumb:

Yes, I can always start the car when i put it in neutral. Like I say it doesn't do it every time but when it doesn't start in Park, I just drop it down to neutral and it starts first turn.

997 does have a known issue that the ingition switch gets wear on it and the symptoms are as you describe my gen1 used to do it regularly , very easy to fix and should be covered under the warranty you have .get it booked into your local OPC :thumb: :thumb:

Grooster said:
Yes, I can always start the car when i put it in neutral. Like I say it doesn't do it every time but when it doesn't start in Park, I just drop it down to neutral and it starts first turn.
Then the inhibitor switch is faulty :thumb:

Thanks for all your help on this. What is the purpose of the inhibiter switch and more importantly, is it covered in the Porsche warranty?
Typically I've just used it this morning to take the kids to their schools and its worked perfectly. I can just imagine taking it into Porsche, which is a good 1 and 1/2 hour round trip from me and it working for them.

Thanks again

Porsche are aware of this issue on 997 cars so I am sure they will just change it as they know its a sporadic fault , its not a wear and tear item so it should be covered under warranty. :thumb:

Thats great, good news. Its not desperate as i'm away for a week or so but i'll give them a call when i'm back and get it booked in before the warranty runs out in September. Is it a days job does anybody know or will they need the car for a bit longer. Is it something that would be fixed while I wait. I'm surprised it wasn't picked up by their mechanics or the last owner as it was only serviced at the end of January 2018. I suppose it could have just started but I only picked the car up on Sunday.

Cheers

It will be covered by warranty but if it's an intermittent problem it might be difficult for an OPC to replicate it. I don't know if there's a test they can do.

Regarding the time it takes to replace, I've no idea but I'll pm your thread to 911uk's resident Doctor (deMort) and he'll probably respond this evening.

With luck your OPC will accept what you are saying happens and make sure they've got parts in stock before your booking.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help T8, really appreciate it.

Ive come across it a few times :D

The multi function switch is what stops the car from starting but its rare for that to actually be the fault ... not so on Boxsters though !

You have just bought the car so probably dont realise the gear shift should be a bit easier to move ..

When warm or sometimes all the time the gear linkage on the box partially seizes , it need a bit of lubrication which is actually a strip and grease but as under warrenty ill not bother with the details.

This stops the cable and hence the multi switch from moveing far enough for the car to see its in park and allow it to start.

Start in neutral and worse when hot are both classic symptoms of this fault .. give me 5 seconds in the car and i could say 100% .. so on here ill just have to go with 95% its that .

Just tell the OPC its stiff to change gear and wont start in park when warm .. they should easily find and repair it from that .

deMort, Many thanks for your help with this. Yes your absolutely correct. With me being new to the car I wouldn't have a clue if the gear shift is stiff or not. I've got a merc auto but the gear change is on the stalk next to the wheel so nothing really to compare it to.
It does seem to be better on a cold start.
I just wonder why the last owner didn't bother to get it fixed when there is a warranty on it. I take it the opc warranty is transferable to a new owner.
I'll get on to them next week when I'm back, but it doesn't ditract from the car. I absolutely love it. It really is a dream come true to actually be sat behind the wheel of one after wanting one for so many years, but I just want it to be as perfect as it can be for a 10 year old car before the warranty runs out.

By the way does anybody know how much it is to renew with Porsche for another year. Or is there an alternative company that's cheaper.

Attachments

• 6f766742_b42c_4cce_aa9d_7896f85997d9_120.jpeg
    6f766742_b42c_4cce_aa9d_7896f85997d9_120.jpeg
    937.2 KB · Views: 3,202

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back