Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lowering a 997.2 GTS4

squelch

Thinking about lowering the GTS and looking at options. It seems the choice is either H&R (quoted at 20-25mm drop) or Eibach (quoted at 20mm drop). Interestingly the Eibach Pro Kit has a 5 year warranty whereas the H&R only has a 1 year warranty. I believe H&R are the brand that Porsche use for the GT3 etc.

Supposedly the GTS models ride 10mm lower than standard anyway so presumably that can be deducted from the drop heights shown.

Any thoughts / experience of either brand....?

Not sure if the gts is 10mm lower than an S BUT if it is then you might want to look at techart springs as they only lower 15mm on PASM set up cars so that would drop you the equivelent of 25mm on an S if the GTS is 10mm lower already. my 4S is lowered on H&R but my gen1 was lowered on techart :thumb: :thumb: hope that helps mate.

Quick email to Center Gravity to get there view? I'd be tempted to get them to do it and set it up exactly as you want it at the same time? :dont know:

I thought a GTS was a few mm lower than a standard S, maybe I dreamt it but I remember thinking it might be a way to drop mine while it was still under warranty. If so then I fought most of the other options are going to make much difference.

squelch said:
Supposedly the GTS models ride 10mm lower than standard anyway

The S and GTS have the same ride height with the regular PASM. If fitted with Sports PASM (a.k.a. SPASM), which was an option on both the S and GTS, then you had an additional 10 mm drop.

Phil 997 said:
...my 4S is lowered on H&R but my gen1 was lowered on techart :thumb: :thumb: hope that helps mate.

Interesting. How would you compare and contrast them (ride quality, clearance issues, aesthetics, etc.) ?

Thanks.

Karl.

wjk_glynn said:
squelch said:

The S and GTS have the same ride height with the regular PASM. If fitted with Sports PASM (a.k.a. SPASM), which was an option on both the S and GTS, then you had an additional 10 mm drop.
You are indeed quite right - the optional "Sports chassis" drops it by 10mm.
I've been looking at so many images, specs and springs today my brain is frazzled! Looking on various forums etc there are very mixed and contradicting views on both H&R vs Eibach.
I think I'll go with H&R.... or Eibach.... no, definitely H&R.... or maybe Eibach.... or... :?

If you are really keen on the idea of having to do a u-turn when you encounter a speed bump, there are other cars that do that out of the factory :p

Seriously though, one of the things that sets the 911 apart is that you can use it every day everywhere. Might as well get something italian

squelch said:
wjk_glynn said:
squelch said:

You are indeed quite right - the optional "Sports chassis" drops it by 10mm.
I've been looking at so many images, specs and springs today my brain is frazzled! Looking on various forums etc there are very mixed and contradicting views on both H&R vs Eibach.
I think I'll go with H&R.... or Eibach.... no, definitely H&R.... or maybe Eibach.... or... :?

do also consider the techart at 15mm drop on PASM :thumb:

wjk_glynn said:
squelch said:

Phil 997 said:
...my 4S is lowered on H&R but my gen1 was lowered on techart :thumb: :thumb: hope that helps mate.

Interesting. How would you compare and contrast them (ride quality, clearance issues, aesthetics, etc.) ?

Thanks.

Karl.

Karl, re ride I would say both are very close to stock maybe the techarts slightly softer but really very little difference.
both seem to maintain the set hight I have seen other brands that continue to drop over time .
both seem to be ok re arch clearance helped by the fact that lowering pulls the top camber in slightly I also have spacers fitted to get the stance right.
I never noticed the techarts occationally and I mean very occationally big potholes etc hitting the stop plate whereas the H&M do , but its got to be a big pothole for it to happen and I realise the techarts where not as lowered so that maybe why I never noticed them do that.
Both are very good spring sets and the only reason my gen2 has H&R and not Techart is because thats what it came with when I brought it , I had always said if I wasnt happy I would swap them for techart but I actually havent felt the need to.
neither give the car a slammed look see pics the midnight car is on teacart the aqua car on H&R both have vertini magic alloys fitted so you get a good comparrison note the aqua car is noticably lower at the front thats the most obvious place you see the difference in ride hight between the two set of springs :thumb:

Attachments

• 13259480_1722166521370922_426280912_n_354.jpg
    13259480_1722166521370922_426280912_n_354.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 4,662
  • 28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_283.jpg
    28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_283.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 4,662
  • 26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_163.jpg
    26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_163.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 4,662
  • img_2466_200.jpg
    img_2466_200.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 4,662
I'm sure i've read somewhere that the Techart springs are just badge engineered Eibach springs with a higher price?

Not sure if there's any truth to it or not.

ninenineseven said:
I'm sure i've read somewhere that the Techart springs are just badge engineered Eibach springs with a higher price?

Not sure if there's any truth to it or not.

They are made by Eibach but to different specification and tolarances to Eibachs own springs . Techart did a lot of R&D before deciding what they wanted and giving the manufacturing contract to Eibach. So no they are not just a rebranded more expensive version of the same thing .
This is info I gathered when I was doing the same research into what springs I wanted and had the same question albiet 5 yrs ago :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Matt,

Mines on H&Rs, there were on when I bought it so cannot compare to OEM but they ride well, considering how low it is.... I have H&Rs on the M Coupe as well and have been happy with them on that.

41061387835_fcf157a39e_h.jpg

41915848522_af3f1bfb77_h.jpg

41915856872_9dd8a582fa_h.jpg

Phil 997 said:
look see pics the midnight car is on teacart the aqua car on H&R both have vertini magic alloys fitted so you get a good comparrison note the aqua car is noticably lower at the front thats the most obvious place you see the difference in ride hight between the two set of springs

Thanks, that's one of the best A:B comparisons I've seen between H&R and TechArt

Phil 997 said:
Techart did a lot of R&D before deciding what they wanted and giving the manufacturing contract to Eibach... This is info I gathered when I was doing the same research into what springs I wanted

If you have captured specific differences between Eibach and TechArt, please share.

Because this whole Eibach vs. TechArt thing has been debated extensively on multiple forums. Eibach publishes their spring specs, but TechArt doesn't.

Short of someone buying both sets and actually testing them in a jig, those conversations just go around and around.

Phil 997 said:
I had always said if I wasnt happy I would swap them for techart but I actually havent felt the need to

At the end of the day, it seems that all things being equal, you prefer TechArt over H&R if you were starting from scratch.

You've described a range of differences between the two, but is there one (or two) factors that tip you to TechArt?

Thanks.

Karl.

Spoke to a lady at Centre Gravity today. Interesting to note that she suggested they'd use Eibach. She seemed knowledgeable and courteous and it sounds like a great outfit. It was refreshing to have such a nice chat having just spoken with two spring suppliers - one virtually grunted at me and could barely string a sentence together and the other, despite having "price match" on their website, just told me to order them from their competitor as it's not worth them doing it for that price (£30 to price match). He'd already emailed me with his costs and there was still a decent margin in it. Maybe I expect too much, but that seems an odd business strategy to me.

Anyway, I digress. Having seen so many conflicting views online (some swear by "A" and will never buy "B" again and vise versa) it's pretty much coming down to a coin toss!

But availability also has an influence and most have quoted 6-10 days but I've found somewhere who will have them in the morning and aren't far from me so I've ordered the H&R. Fitting is penciled in for next week, so all being well, they'll be fitted in time for Beaulieu.... :)

squelch said:
Spoke to a lady at Centre Gravity today. Interesting to note that she suggested they'd use Eibach. She seemed knowledgeable and courteous and it sounds like a great outfit. It was refreshing to have such a nice chat having just spoken with two spring suppliers - one virtually grunted at me and could barely string a sentence together and the other, despite having "price match" on their website, just told me to order them from their competitor as it's not worth them doing it for that price (£30 to price match). He'd already emailed me with his costs and there was still a decent margin in it. Maybe I expect too much, but that seems an odd business strategy to me.

Anyway, I digress. Having seen so many conflicting views online (some swear by "A" and will never buy "B" again and vise versa) it's pretty much coming down to a coin toss!

But availability also has an influence and most have quoted 6-10 days but I've found somewhere who will have them in the morning and aren't far from me so I've ordered the H&R. Fitting is penciled in for next week, so all being well, they'll be fitted in time for Beaulieu.... :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back