Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

what paint treatment after full respray

sadman

Hi gentlemen,

Just had the old girl resprayed,

Any advice on a good wax/treatment ,she is a daily driver used all year,
Was a bit rough but now looking sharp again and want to keep her looking fresh for as long as possible,

Plenty of expensive waxes available but not sure what's best.

Also the final part of making the outside look plush is the wheel centres,( I had the wheels done by Chris at excel wheel, very very good job.)
Any advice on where to source them other than Porsche themselves,I'm quite happy to keep the std black and silver version.

Next job is engine out, new clutch and a good poke about replacing all the difficult to reach bits but ill have a drive this summer before contemplating the engine out,
I may even have a heater that works when I get my ccu back from Tore,
Happy days,

I'll post up some photos when I get her back and can work out how to do it,
Thanks for any advice

I'm looking forward to seeing pics and reading what replies you get re wax etc.

Regarding wheel centres ... Chris at Exel Wheels has always been able to source genuine ones at as good a price as anybody.

Thanks T8

I hadn't thought of speaking to Chris,
I'll give him a call,

cheers

I would go for a self repairing paint protection film on the front of the car (bonnet, front bumper, front wings) from a really good outfit like Max Protect in Kings Langley. You can then just wash these panels.normally and treat with detailing spray to polish

Get the rest of the car treated with either

1) a ceramic coating if you are lazy like me as it can be just washed and polished with a detailing spray

2) a really good wax if you like spending time polishing your car

Hope that helps

I bet everyone's different, but every 3 months I treat mine to a coat of wax. The wax I've been using since the respray is from Japan – 'Soft99 Kiwami".

The bumf says "This Extreme gloss wax is the newest Soft99 wax which combines high glossy polymer and Carnauba wax, and strikes a good balance between decent durability as well as a transparent glossy finish.

All I know is it's a doddle to apply, leaves a great shine, it's the best beading I have seen, and lasts well :thumb:

Any good carnauba wax would be ideal. If you wash your car every week then 2-3 months before it needs a top up IMO.
After washing, a good detail spray is great as both a drying agent and wax top up. I use Meguiars Last Touch but others are available.

A decent pot of wax should last a couple of years easily. I'm using Dodo Juice Hard Candy. Takes about 15mins to wax the car and 10mins to remove with a decent microfibre. Different waxes have different curing times, so best to check the label/instructions prior to applying.

I have a genuine set of Black/Silver Centre Caps. I'll dig them out and take pics if interested.

C.

Thanks men,

I was thinking of giving the car to a detailer to sort the paint out(major buff up) and give it a good waxing but if a good quality wax will help keep the finish then I may not bother, bloody expensive waxes about!
What price should I expect to pay for a decent one ?
I don't mind renewing the wax every few weeks, it lets me inspect for any problems,

Thanks cableguy for the offer of the black and silver wheel caps.
If you can send some picks I may have them from you.

Before I do my engine ill put some new shocks on, I fitted the m033 set when Porsche were doing them cheap about 50,000 miles ago so probably getting a bit worn out, as a daily I wont be going for Olin's or though I'm sure they would feel great just not sure on their durability driving all year round,
koni seem to be a reasonable option, has anyone tried them ?

My car is just having a glass out respray with Ty. The car is now booked in with Topaz for paint protection film.

Is paint protection film t5he clear plastic stick on that goes on the rear wings ? or is it a spray on film ?

I'm looking to get some for the wheel arches,
I'll hunt some down on the internet,

£30 to £50 will get you a good quality pot of carnauba wax. Have a look on the detailing sites like cleanyourcar.co.uk, pristinefinish.co.uk etc.

I'll take some pics of the Centre Caps tomorrow and PM the pics.

C.

I guess the film is something along the lines of the film that goes on the rear arch.

I'm hoping that the film used on the complete panels e.g. front wings, bumper, bonnet, sills etc. is of higher optical clarity and is self healing. In the event of minor scrapes, heating the film causes it to self repair.

It isn't a spray on job.

Sutton said:
I guess the film is something along the lines of the film that goes on the rear arch.

I'm hoping that the film used on the complete panels e.g. front wings, bumper, bonnet, sills etc. is of higher optical clarity and is self healing. In the event of minor scrapes, heating the film causes it to self repair.

It isn't a spray on job.

Mine has the film on. The finish is amazing but it should be as it cost £1200. Super easy to keep clean and a quick wipe with detailing spray keeps it shiny

Is there any issue putting PPF on a freshly repainted car?

I don't know, just wondering when its recently been painted within the first month say , if it isn't totally 'dry' - perhaps ?

I realise PPF is put on new cars , but isn't the paint finish oven baked on a new motor?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back