Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retrofit Nav Experience

Simmokj

Hi all

I'm 2days away from picking up my first Porsche (thank you) and I imagine the first thing I'm going to want to do is take out the pcm and replace it with .... something else.

That something else must have Apple CarPlay and seperate sat nav. My question is; what's everyone's experience with these systems, recommendations and how is the quality of calls, can you even hear anything?

Thanks all and apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, I'm new. :)

In my previous 996tt and my current 997, I had Kenwood DAB/Nav fitted by a decent installer and they both worked very well.

Biggest thing is the connectivity and the excellent Nav direction, especially on motorway junctions - the sort where being in the wrong lane mean a 30 mile detour!

I know everyone in the Porsche world bangs on about originality, but PCM2.1 was shite and utterly outdated even at launch. Today it's positively Fisher Price. Get it ditched quick and move on.

Dont forget the PCM2.1 is worth £250/400 on ebay to add to the budget. has yours got bose if so you will need a MOST optical interface these vary in price the one I used was £250. you will also see when looking for a DD fascia they say not compatable with cars that have cupholders , this is untrue and just needs a little tweak when fitting to ensure the cupholder doesnt snag behind the dash in the closed position. other than that its quite a straight foreward swap :thumb:

I fit an xtrons double unit in my 996 a couple of months ago. It wipes the floor with anything I've seen and only cost £140 brand new.

Features include:

Any android music player including apple stuff.
Movie player.
Bluetooth for phone and any other bluetooth kit.
Radio.
Dab radio (if a separate antenna and tuner are purchased).
Internet.
email.
All iplayers.
Free offline maps that auto update daily with any changes.
Torque app that monitors everything the ecu, satellites & any other info it can acquire to tell you how the engine is running, how you've been driving, your mpg, both live and overtime, etc, etc.
TPMS (sensor required).
Camera funtion for dash cam or reversing ( cam required).
Any android app.
Big memory.
Multiple usb inputs.

The list is endless!!!!!!

kq46RKK.jpg

You really really really do not need a separate sat nav. Google maps nav, Waze, whatever people use on Iphone (can you tell I'm an android person???) are all incredible. Google own Waze, they use the same traffic data. No way in hell should you be using an offline nav system these days. Google gets it right every time. It might say "5 minutes faster" during a journey and change the route, and gets it right, every time. I've learnt to trust it completely.

Now get a unit with the latest Android Auto/Apple Car play and thats what you want. There are a multitude, see the other recent thread about this in which I list a Pioneer and a Kenwood unit which are really good and look great and work brilliantly.

As Phil says, you may well need an extra lead if you are Bose or have steering wheel controls, and they aren't cheap (about £250) but it all works well.

Alex, is your surround a different colour to the cabin trim or is it my imagination?

Surround is same colour and texture as the above plastic vents.

Android is deffo the way forward. I only use off line maps as I don't constantly have my phone set as a hotspot.

alex yates said:
Surround is same colour and texture as the above plastic vents.

Android is deffo the way forward. I only use off line maps as I don't constantly have my phone set as a hotspot.

Alex, Would you mind saying which Xtrons unit you chose? I'm going down the double DIN route and got quoted £1000 for a pioneer, additional amp, aerial, facia & wiring to amp. :eek: I can't afford that so £140 plus a facia etc. is much more sensible.

I don't know yet what amp I have, I do have the sound upgrade pack, not BOSE, so am unsure what extra cabling I need.

Any advice appreciated.

Great stuff!! Thanks everyone for the advice. The only reason I would opt for offline maps is that I use a lot of data for work and don't want to go over my allowance, or be left lost somewhere I don't want to be :dont know:

I think I'll look into that option then Alex. Sounds good to me.

Wait ..... and excuse my naivety on these matters, but does the android base system mean it won't do Apple CarPlay? That is perhaps a daft question.

Only apple music app I think. Don't know much about apple as I don'like their stuff.

when you get your new head unit I have a couple of Porsche splash screens I can send you , let me know when your ready and if you need them. :thumb:

Alex, is that just an Android box, or does it have Android Auto? It's a pretty big difference!

Android Auto, just connect your phone, you can access the apps on the phone on the unit. I don't do this with mine as Mirror Link is rather out of date and doesn't support my phone (S8+) which is crap, but then I just use the phone as my sat nav with a windscreen sucker cradle thingy and speak to it :)

Isn't android auto just an app?

Well the Pioneer I posted in the other thread has a google button, which is linked to android auto, so you can use normal google functionality as in "Ok Google" "Navigate home" or "navigate to old trafford" and so on, which for me is the essential part and why I use my phone instead of a unit like these at the moment. I use mine for music, as that is the real problem with PCM2.1, god it's awful!

What does your unit run? Is it an android box with some software/app installed?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back