Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Metal flakes in oil filter

Armagreggon85

Silverstone
I'm meant to be off to a track day at the Nurburgring on Thursday morning, in preparation I've just done an oil change on the car.

I found quite a bit of metal fuzz on the magnetic sump plug, so I sliced apart the oil filter and I have found quite a lot of metallic fragments around 1mm in size. These stuck to a magnet as well.

I haven't really inspected the oil filter before and I only fitted the magnetic sump plug at the last oil change which was about 6 months / 6k miles ago, just before the last track day I did. However at the last oil change I was sent the wrong oil filter so the filter has not been changed in around 18 months/18k miles

Worryingly the car has also recently developed an oil leak from between engine and gearbox.

With the track day so close I don't have any time to get this investigated.

My questions are 1. Is anyone able to suggest the likely cause? 2. would it be stupid to carry on and take the car to the 'ring?

The car is a early 3.4 with approx 136k on the clock and, as far as I know, totally original engine. It runs perfectly fine and doesn't make any strange noises. I recently switched to Millers Nanotech 10w50 at the last change though I'm sure any issues are purely coincidental

I suspect I know the answer to number 2, however over the last month I've busted my ass fitting coilovers, replacing a fair few suspension components and having the car set up at centre of gravity. On top of all that hard work, cost, as well as the cost of ferry crossings, hotel, very expensive track day, I've been really looking forwards to this trip for a while so I'm reluctant to write all of that off it it could be OK

20180522_182724.jpg

Gotta say that doesn't look too good. I'd say a rebuild is looking like it is due, metal flakes could be IMS bearing wear, and you don't really want the engine completely eating itself on the ring.

I'm sure somebody with greater mechanical knowledge than I will be along soon to give further advice.

Fella don't risk it, the ring will be there for donkeys years yet.

Get it looked at and you won't risk a potential nightmare.

No idea what the problem could be but a problem it is.

Stay at home get it fixed in a relaxed manor and enjoy going next time as you now have the option of a next time :thumb:

Sorry to say it doesn't look good.

This is a link to someone with a similar issue on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-for...tal-sludge-on-drain-plug-and-in-filter-2.html

I haven't read it all but thoughts were:

1.) IMS bearing failing
2.) valvetrain ie cam loabe or lifter.

Either way, you could look on this as you have 'luckily' caught something in time before the engine has totally smashed itself.

Hope things won't be too bad for you and best of luck.

+1 investigate rather than let it self destruct

wasz said:
You've been very lucky to catch that.

I wouldn't start that again or it could be much worse.

Pull it apart or get it taken it to somebody that will.

Buy a cheap clio 172 o any local hot hatch for the trackday and to buzz about in for a couple of months.

Good advice. Incidentally a mate of mine took exactly that cheap French pocket rocket to the 'ring after stripping virtually every item out of it :grin:

He had a fantastic time :thumb:

Thats my general thought, im searching the classifieds for cheap nail i can take as a replacement

Bad luck :nooo:

If you were planning a UK track day it would be bad enough but a trip abroad, especially a thousand mile+ round trip would be a foolish.

Even considering driving around 'The Ring' with an engine knowing that it could possibly 'let go' would be plain stupid given the costs that you would incur if it did.

Good Luck with any plan B you come up with. :thumb:

Armagreggon85 said:
Thats my general thought, im searching the classifieds for cheap nail i can take as a replacement

If you decide to sell the nail after then let me know please :D

Looking for a little 172/ST/MX5 shi77er as a track day s!ag :grin:

:thumb:

Nightmare! As said already, do not head off on a trip in that car. That's a lot of debris in that filter. Something IS disintegrating in there.

You're doing the right thing though, finding a cheap hot hatch to enjoy the trip in anyway.

Fingers crossed for a not too painful solution. :thumb:

Good luck with whatever you do, I've got to say that a great advert for the magnetic sump plug! Would you have noticed the debris without it?

im due a service guess what on my shopping list :thumb:

Sorry to hear this, I am no expert but that is worrying. I have a MY 2000 C4 with c.88K miles. Where do you get a magnetic sump plug from?

Design911 sell them, or you can also get the same one off eBay with free postage

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back