Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Speakers ... Again!

ballcock

Hi all,

YES IVE USED THE SEACH FUNCTION :p

Have trawled through all the audio threads here, and have found nearly all the recommended speakers are no longer available.
The only speakers I've found to be still available are these ...

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/car-...-6-dream-line-2-way-coaxial-car-speakers.html

Before I pull the pin and order, can anyone direct me to other tried and tested options .. it's most important that I keep original grilles both front and rear, I believe may of the usual rear 2 way speakers foul the cover and rattle, so your real world experience would be most appreciated all!

Why not replace with original speakers in? I faffed around looking to replace with an upgraded speaker, but as I also wanted to keep the grills, I just in the end bought new OEM to replace the well ***** originals, and they don't sound halve bad. In fact I was pleasantly surprised how good they sound. I know everyone states the originals are crap, but has anyone actually heard them when they were new.

I'm a bit of an audiophile and think they sound more than ok and they are £60 a pair from your local OPC. I generally run fade at around 60% rear 40% fronts.

For the rears, Gert did sell the upgraded originals and as they are OEM fit also straight in at the rear as they are a direct replacement.

Top tip, spray the front grills before refitting and they look brand new. I was originally going to replace them, but they are something like £80 each :grin:

ballcock said:
YES IVE USED THE SEACH FUNCTION :p

Have trawled through all the audio threads here, and have found nearly all the recommended speakers are no longer available.
Run a few searches in the 993 forum for the following words:

Audison
Morel
Hertz

^ they are speaker brands that have been reviewed in several threads in recent years, and installed by many 993 owners.
All (Audison Prima APK165, Morel Maximo, Hertz Energy ESK165) are still available to purchase :).

Sorry to hijack slightly but a recommendation for a powered sub that would go under passenger seat would be great

fitted replacement Focal door units but put in a 7x5 shallow speaker into the rear to replace the tiny 6x4

I did front and rears when I did my interior sound deadening in 2016.
Fronts - JBL GTO 508 C 2 ways (13cm)
Rears - JBL GTO 6429 4x2's

Total price from Amazon was £104!

I'm not going to win any 'sound-offs" but the originals were done and for me they are good enough. Really tiny adjustments to the grilles to fit but a really easy upgrade.

To be honest, stereo is off when I'm on it, for cruising and motorways they're just fine...

Thanks all for your replies, checking out all options, will let you know how I go.
I'd like a pretty decent sound system, I've ordered a conti head from Tore, hope the speakers will do it justice.
What about those rainbow speakers anyone?

911UK said:
fitted replacement Focal door units but put in a 7x5 shallow speaker into the rear to replace the tiny 6x4
Hi, can you give more detail re rear speaker?

ballcock said:
What about those rainbow speakers anyone?

I have Rainbow Audio speakers front and rear. Rear is a very close fit in the original hole as the magnets are bigger. I flipped the mounting ring for the speaker grills over to gain a few millimetres (and worked). Fronts I got the most powerful Rainbow ones that fit in the original holes, behind the original grills with the tweeter mounted to them so I did not have to faff with the crossover which I'd previously done in a 964 (Focals) and did not see the value in. Left the original tweeters in place.

Under seat powered subwoofer is a must, otherwise it all lacks bass.

I think so. Will see if I can find my order details later today...

They sound a lot better than what was in there, but that wouldn't be hard as the old Nokia ones are weedy and will have started to fall apart :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back