Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dead Sat Nav?

daxtojeiro

Hi all,
I've been using my 997.1 for 3 years and have just decided to look into why the sat nav doesn't work. It had been disconnected and bypassed (fibre optic) by the previous owner.

I plugged it all back in, I have power to 2 of the terminals on the connector, so I'm assuming it has power, but it won't do anything. The CD was in a wallet, so its not in the unit, but it refuses to even try to take it in. There's also no light or any sign of life on it at all.
But if I take out the power connector, the head unit loses connection to everything, (fibre optic open circuit) so I assume the power must be OK.

I've taken the unit to bits, but can't see anything obviously wrong. Before I throw it away, am I missing something stupid?
Or is there anywhere I can send it for repair that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

thanks for your time,
Phil

Phil, just as a question but are you trying to put the cd into the head unit or into the navigation box in the frunk which will be either under the plastic trim or mounted in the luggage space , the location seems to differ on cars for some reason . sorry if its seems a silly question but not the first time I have heard to guys trying to get it into the head unit slot :thumb:

Hi, I'm trying to put it into the actual Sat Nav unit that's under the bonnet. I guess that's where it goes? Should the CD always be in there, or is it just to load the data from then remove?
thanks
Phil

daxtojeiro said:
Hi, I'm trying to put it into the actual Sat Nav unit that's under the bonnet. I guess that's where it goes? Should the CD always be in there, or is it just to load the data from then remove?
thanks
Phil

yes it should live in there mate all the time , or certainly mine did lol. not sure why it wont load into that unit :?: try a PM to member demort as hes a porsche tech he may be able to assist :thumb:

Unplugging the fibre optic lead breaks that circuit so you wont have coms with cd player , phone etc at that point .

Logically the nav unit is doing something as the fibre optic signal is still being sent .

If it was by passed then it was probably for a reason ..

Not much to check on the wiring .. image below .

Only checks left are for codeing ..

Nav is coded on in the Instrument cluster , the Gateway and the Pcm MMI .. if codeing is incorrect then it will not work.

I suspect though due to the bypass that the unit is dead .

Attachments

• wiring_1_244.jpg
    wiring_1_244.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,441
Thanks for the replies, looks like I either need a new one or look into getting another head unit.

Is there a manual with those wiring diagrams in it anywhere, as I struggle to do much without one ?
thanks again
Phil

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back