Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

shocking news re the 718 Boxster

tim993

I absolutely loved it.

Tried the S and GTS Caymans - which were ok but the engine noise is not great and booms around the cabin. Thought the lag / throttle response was a bit brutish and clumsy.

However this is just not the case in the entry level open-top model:

The sound is pretty good. I quite liked it.
The power and torque it provides are as much as I'd ever need
The basic engine mates perfectly with the PDK 'box
Very little if any meaningful turbo lag and easy to get just the right throttle opening to balance the car
Smooth and confidence inspiring to drive, with the grip level telegraphed back from the tyres in a way that was so easy to read.
It gave me the confidence to push so much harder than in the other models.

I was quite alarmed how much i warmed to this car.

Sorry to break the party line guys, but a basic Non-S PDK Boxster with only a handful of options would actually suit me perfectly.

:)

I just returned a loaner to the OPC which I have had for the week, bloody amazing car eager to try the S and GTS.

Nice one chum. Don't do your dough as they've got it right :thumb:

Another opinion? Wanting to oblige the missus' desire for another Boxster I drove a new 718, I was very disappointed - drives just as any modern well made car should, and of course it was fast, but as the drive progressed I realised much tactile/aural/involvement was absent compared to any naturally aspirated 6 cyl Porsche with trad hydraulic power steering. The 'Impreza' noise of the flat four grated a tad and certainly the howl of the six was sorely missing - as was the sublime climb in power that makes a good engine (sic). We all know that any turbo car can be fast but for me the power curve of a turbo engine is 'artificial' feeling, not much different to a well sorted 2 litre diesel albeit at 2-3k higher revs. The steering felt clean, anaesthetised, all manner of feedback being damped out as if comfort and remoteness is more important than the snatch and 'rattle' of older porker steering systems. Nah - not for me, seemed more like a Meile white good than a Porsche sporting machine - and woe betide when they apply the same emission sensitive technology to the 911... the end of the marque??

Wish I could get a drive in a 918...! :D

I have a loaner 718 gts today and preciously had an s for a few days .

It's well made certainly quick and the chassis is very good. The pdk works much better than in my 997 but I still much better refer my gt4 or even the 987 S I had before .

The steering is numb if accurate and the sound is awful and even worse with the sports exhaust on .

It's a bloody competent car but the soul of the Porsche feel is missing it's just a very well made and quick sports car almost certainly quicker than my gt4 in the real world but I don't think I could bring myself to buy one .

Agree with most of above.

Got a 718 Boxter S for the day when I put mine in for a service. Had a marvellous day thrashing round the Lincolnshire Wolds. Brilliant car! Trouble is I own a penis so the 911 stays :floor:

I had a 718 Cayman S today whilst my car was in for service and I was very disappointed. The engine felt quite laggy at low revs and it didn't feel particularly quick. There was little pleasure in revving it as it sounded unhappy at high revs and, like many modern turbo charged cars, it felt primarily tuned for mid-range torque. That might be good for daily driver but it's not what I buy a sports car for.

I've read that the base Cayman/Boxster is the better drive than the S and less laggy. I'd like to try one as the S just didn't feel special at all :nooo:

Having had another drive to and from my usual place of work and think I am even more convinced Porsche dropped a b....k with the 718.

It feels more solid than any off the 991's I have been in and the chassis is fantastic as standard . I can see why people would like it who aren't 911 fans it's so bloody easy to drive quick and feel like you are a driving god .

But the engine is just horrible, it makes fantastic torque and you can really push on but it is laggy, the mpg is no better than my 997 when you actually get a move on and it really is an obnoxious noise .

I want to like it as it would make a better daily on my local roads than my 997 but the engine kills it for me .

Got a 718 while my GT4 is in for a service. The fuel consumption is quite good but that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

Boxsey said:
Got a 718 while my GT4 is in for a service. The fuel consumption is quite good but that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

against the 3.8 fitted to your car, really nothing else that's graced a 981/2 gets anywhere close. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back