Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing the Rear O2 Sensor

Ishay

Spa-Francorchamps
Does anybody have a step by step guide to replacing the O2 sensor after the cat on a 997.1tt?

I have found a rennlist guide but it's a bit vague. Does the rear bumper need to come off?

Bumper / pu removed .. intercooler on the side or both sides removed then you have access to the lambda sensors .. usual heat followed by swearing required when removeing as the threads strip out .

Actually to be fair they shouldn,t be too bad on a Turbo .

Thank you! Did exactly this and it wasn't too bad as you say.

BUT, having cleared the code no bother, and sat at idle no bother, took it for a spin.

Immediate sensations of missing power and zero boost. Got to some traffic lights and it stalled, twice.

We only touched the bumper, air box/intercooler, heat shield and the sensor.

If we didn't quite connect the air pipes between intercooler and air box in the engine bay could this do this? Could we have disturbed anything else?

No ECM light still.

Oh dear....

Ishay said:
Thank you! Did exactly this and it wasn't too bad as you say.

BUT, having cleared the code no bother, and sat at idle no bother, took it for a spin.

Immediate sensations of missing power and zero boost. Got to some traffic lights and it stalled, twice.

We only touched the bumper, air box/intercooler, heat shield and the sensor.

If we didn't quite connect the air pipes between intercooler and air box in the engine bay could this do this? Could we have disturbed anything else?

No ECM light still.

Oh dear....

Hose clips can be a bit tricky to seat correctly. One of mine popped off after I had carried out some exhaust work, so fingers crossed its this as running symptoms sound similar.

Could it be that there was a secondary issue at play prior to fitting the new sensor? Fingers crossed for you that it's a simple obvious fix.

I don't think there's a secondary issue (I hope). It's a fairly new turbo and was running awesome on the drive to my friends where we did the work. Even the O2 sensor fault was very intermittent and gave no loss of drive/power. Just a pair of P0159 errors every other drive or so (on average), often when half warm.

But on the way home, totally different. By far the worst the car's ever driven, including when the exhaust end of this turbo had a hole in it (hence the new turbo). And yet no check engine light now.

I really hope the air hoses could cause this because that's the only other component that was touched, the rest being all body work removal of various bits for access.

Thinking about it, when we fired the car up we let it tick over for a bit and all seemed fine. It was when I pulled away (quite hard - he lives on a fast stretch of A road) it first showed signs of loss of power. I wonder if a badly seated hose came loose at that point? Because the next time it was back at idle the revs were all over the shop.

Hiya mate,

If thats all you touched above then and runs fine but only when you put your foot down and get them revs up.... my bet is that you a a loose intercooler hose/clamp.

I had this very issue few years back, had me previous car tuned with various bits/bobs. I fitted some of them plus the new intercooler and hose's etc... i fudged up on a hose clamp. So on the dyno the power droped right off under load and you could just about hear the air-puff leaking as well.

Just go over all the clamps and make sure they are nice and tight fella

Cheers guys. Confirmed, intercooler pipe. All sorted :thumb: :thumbs:

Ishay said:
Cheers guys. Confirmed, intercooler pipe. All sorted :thumb: :thumbs:
Phew! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back