Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Muffler delete from Porscheshop

Szymon did it on his C4S last week. Prepare for the thunder and tickover like a V8.

I get a headache just thinking about that! :lol:

Not an expensive mod though so worth a go :thumbs:

Craig's car on here came with this setup when he bought it.

It's awful!! Completely loses the flat six sound and is just a horrible noise that will annoy your neighbours and anyone you overtake.

But sometimes it's best to experience stuff for ourselves so by all means give it a go.

Coincidentally Craig fitted Topgear X pipe cats and switchable boxes last year. This gave the option of quiet or louder.

He's recently added the Topgear manifolds too and it is a step too far.
On loud it now sounds like his old muffler delete setup. Hooligan loud and not very nice at all.

Good luck with finding the sound you're after though. :thumb:

Marky911 said:

It's awful!! Completely loses the flat six sound and is just a horrible noise that will annoy your neighbours and anyone you overtake.

But sometimes it's best to experience stuff for ourselves so by all means give it a go.

Coincidentally Craig fitted Topgear X pipe cats and switchable boxes last year. This gave the option of quiet or louder.

On loud it now sounds like his old muffler delete setup. Hooligan loud and not very nice at all.

His car sounds awsome !! A Porsche should scream look at me!

I've got it booked in next week , see how it pans out

Marky911 said:

Indeed,it's fine line between improving the noise and making it sound like your exhaust has fallen off!

Exelzion said:
Hi just wondering if anyone has done a muffler delete on a 996? I have seen lots of vids and really do like it, https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/euroc...t3-silencer-by-pass-tail-pipes-1998-2002.html

My car currently has no backboxes while I wait for some bits to arrive. I had to start it up to move it back into the garage, I would assume that with no backboxes it's basically the same as having those bypasses.

It sounds awful. Contrary to the above, it doesn't sound like a V8, it just sounds rough. Like a knackered old tractor. And that was just at idle. I'd feel like an utter c**t driving anywhere making that kind of noise.

Exel

any chance you could record a film before and after on your smartphone and post them on here so we can check them out when done...??

Osh

I had the muffler delete on my Cayenne, which IS a V8.

To be honest its too loud and at some point I will reverse it. The car sounds rough, because the resonance doesnt match. The gasses must be flowing around all over the place.

Sounds awesome on tickover though.

My 996 has PSE, which to me is the best sound.

On my 964 I have a G-pipe, and Cat delete. That sounds really good, but have to put the secondary muffler back on for track-days, as there is no way it would pass a noise meter test.

My AMG C55 is a 5.4 V8, but you'd never know anywhere below 4,000 rpm as it's so quiet - I'm somewhat torn on this one as I do like the sound, but also the character of the car rather suits the subtlety. I would fit a sports exhaust if there's an OEM one, but if it made the car drone at cruise or annoy the neighbours it'd come straight off again - this is the car I drive to Heathrow at 5am.

I'm getting the two mufflers removed next week and a two tails put into the back box so I'll let you know mate see if it's something you want to go for

Hi Exel,

Its not so much how loud it is that was the issue, Porsche sound was not there at all, but more the noise it made on overrun.... When on full throttle its like thunder, but on lift off the noise make the car sound bloody awful. That's just my opinion obviously. Also, at 70/75mph the drone in the car is deafening !! so you either need to drive everywhere in 5th or faster.... choice is yours.... ha.

Hopefully they might be different on yours..... Good Luck :thumb:

Craig

My view

I bought my car last year, it has bypass pipes. I can confirm it not a good sound, it is very loud which some owners mistake for good but speaking from having had several cars over the years with many different exhaust options this is by far the poorest sound on any of the cars, it has none of the flat six sound and it just a poor facsimile of a lumpy 8 pot. If you ever embark on a journey where you have to maintain a steady 50-70 then take nerofen with you as you will have a headache by journeys end! The drone that resonates through the whole car is terrible. Anyway like most things it very personal to the individual and there will be some who love this sound.
I have now bought some very low mileage original mufflers which I have now had modified by Carnewal. My past experience with Gert's modified exhausts have always been very positive, my 993 RS rep had the RSR boxes and they were fantastic. My wife's Boxster S still has the original GT exhaust on it some 9 years after fitting (ours was the original test Boxster for the exhaust he sells, I approached him to consider making them and after 2 goes we got the sound right! So all the Cayman and Boxster owners with the GT exhaust fitted you can blame me if it's not to your liking 😎)
So when I get the mufflers swapped over there will be a pair of delete pipes up for grabs, very shiny as they not had any use for reasons stated above.
As with everything it your choice and this just my opinion for what it's worth.

All the best.

Do you guys that have tried bypass pipes think theres a difference if its a 3.4 ,3.6, 3.8 that its being done to.

if you have spare time have a look at this you tube vid I found of our recent trip to Dinslaken , the boxter in the final 5 was not the loudest but had a nice exhaust note best I have heard on a boxter . some nice exhaust notes all slightly different , and forgive the strange Englishman dressed as Batman lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5aDNi-xeI

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back