Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Reading / Porsche Classic Register

pierrebear

hi guys, so I have read somewhere that if you get an oil change or similar done at an OPC you get added to the Porsche Classic Register. There was a 964 thread re this and thought it looked quite good.

I am likely to take the car to Northway - where I bought it - for a service next month but was wondering about getting an OPC to do oil change on my 1995 C993 Carrera (next year perhaps).

I spoke to someone at Reading OPC and was quite astounded by quoted costs. Estimated £800ish for a 6k service, £1,200 for a 12k service and £1,800 for a 24k service. :eek:

Now given that models going all the way back to 996 are quoted as being as low as £310 for a minor service, am I the wrong to think that someone has somewhat tried to pull the wool over my eyes?? https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessor...vice/serviceandorgininalparts/servicepricing/

Hi Pierre,

I started the thread on the 964 Forum re the Porsche Classic Register, there are some photos on the last page of Plan B.

The 6000 service cost me £500 form OPC Teesside including a full inspection and fitting the new Classic plate holders which is prt of the deal. You can always take you car down for a free inspection and talk to them about it in person, you may get more sense. Also they like PCGB members, it's worth joining if you aren't already a member to get the 10% discount off parts & labour.

I think you have possibly been mis-informed and to be honest I've found OPC's very reasonable these days as Porsche are trying to get classics back in the fold, there's money in them thar hills, so to speak.

Good luck,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I am already a PCGB member and think that the person who gave me the quotes was talking rubbish.

I might just drop in to Porsche Reading or another OPC when I am back on the mainland with the car to see what the score is. £500 sounds a lot more reasonable!

All best,

Pierre

I've just been through this whole confusing business with Reading also. It seems that they are not a participating centre for this offer even though they are listed as such on the relevant web page. :?

Here was my earlier post (can't call it a thread!)

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127215

I ended up going to Swindon which is one of four 'classic partners' in the UK and they did the 'classic oil service' for just less than the £330 quoted price. :thumbs: As it turned out, Swindon is a much better centre than Reading and will be my OPC of choice going forward.

Ironically none of the offers that appear on the official Porsche web-site are ever honoured by Porsche Reading, the home of Porsche GB.

This goes for fixed price servicing menu or the classic register.

As for prices, Reading are the most expensive OPC in the country

12k service on a 964 - £1700

Annual oil change - £800

Brake fluid - £150

No discount for PCGB membership or anything else. - The above prices include the classic labour rate which is discounted to £156 per hour.

Perspective, Northway would cost around £450 for a 12k.

OPC's that participate in the fixed price servicing would only charge £675 for a major service on a 991 Turbo, which shows how inflated Reading prices are.

Brooklands Porsche do part-take and offer a good service if you want to go OPC

Lesson here is not all OPC's are equal, shop around!

Thanks everyone. I had a great chat with one of the guys at Swindon OPC today - knew exactly what I was on about and as you point out quoted £330 for an oil change which is all that's needed for the Classic Register.

Their minor service was a fair chunk more at around £700 (iirc) but those OPC stamps don't come cheap! :eek:

I'm now thinking of doing a one off oil change (perhaps next year) but leave all servicing to Ray and co who I'll be the first to admit offer a really wonderful and personable service that I really can't fault.

Totally agreed about Reading being an absolute joke...so much for the 'home" of Porsche. I don't know if it's the same for Porsche but years ago I remember being treated like a celebrity when I rumbled into a Mercedes garage near Mannheim with my old SL-class (all the engineers were intrigued by it being an RHD) and clubbed together to get me back on the road so I didn't miss my ferry - it truly showed their passion for the cars and willingness to go over and beyond. The same certainly cannot he said for Reading!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back