Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear fog lights

Carrerascott

Silverstone
Quick question on 997.1 rear fog lights - is there a fog light bulb on each side or just the offside?
Just noticed that one of the 2 rear light reflector bulbs on my offside was out and whilst checking everything else noticed that the rear fog only came on on one side
Thanks

Usually you'll find that there's just a bulb in the offside.

However the near side should be wired in including the bulb holder, at least that's how it was on the 996 I used to have.

TBH I don't think I ever turned on my fogs in the 6 years I had it :D

On the 996 both bulbs were in and both lights wired up but the software was coded to only light one side, dependant on lhd or rhd. The reasons for this:

Safety - lighting one fog light means the driver behind won't mistake it as a brake light (even though many UK folk drive round with only a brake light working).

Manufacturing - Bosch made the light units and supplied them fully assembled with bulbs in. They wouldn't know the driving Position of the host car so just fit a fog bulb in every unit.

You can hard wire one side up to the other but I don't think its possible using the software, unless you can hack into it and rewrite it.

alex yates said:
On the 996 both bulbs were in and both lights wired up but the software was coded to only light one side, dependant on lhd or rhd. The reasons for this:

Safety - lighting one fog light means the driver behind won't mistake it as a brake light (even though many UK folk drive round with only a brake light working).

Manufacturing - Bosch made the light units and supplied them fully assembled with bulbs in. They wouldn't know the driving Position of the host car so just fit a fog bulb in every unit.

You can hard wire one side up to the other but I don't think its possible using the software, unless you can hack into it and rewrite it.

Thanks Alex ,I often wondered why only one worked , todays lesson completed :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back