Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Expectation?

qwerty911

I've recently bought a 997.2 c2s cab. It's low mileage Porsche Approved and appears to be fine. Until recently my dd was a M5CP, with a M3 before that and a 987.1 Boxster S for sunny weekend fun. The 997 replaces the Boxster. There is no doubt it drives different and I'm getting more used to it, but compared to the M cars or the Boxster, it struggles with corners. I've read that a different driving style is required for a 911, but really, it is that different? or am I expecting too much compared to these other cars?

I had the same experience when I moved from a Boxster S to a 997 S, the 911 just didn't give me the driving pleasure that the Boxster did . I got shot after about 12 months vowing never to buy another 911 . Anyway I ordered a new Boxster S and life was good and the 997 was soon forgot until one day I got a call from my local OPC offering me Build slot for a 997 gen 1 GT3 . I said yes as I was assured these cars are proper driving machines etc etc and that proved to be very true but Not until I had taken lessons to learn how to drive the car properly
Now learning how to drive a 911 quickly makes for one of the most rewarding drives ever so I would recommend specific lessons for a 911 , you won't regret it.

It's definitely worth looking into tyres, tyre pressures and a geometry setup as well. I find mine very different (in a good way!) to drive since Center Gravity tweaked mine. It's pretty amazing how much confidence the car inspires and how much speed you can carry through corners and mine hasn't got a roof!

In what way are you finding it struggling with corners? Understeer, oversteer, steering feel, turn in etc etc? A big problem for the 997 is that the 987 is so accomplished especially when handling is concerned.

I've been there.

I had a 986 Boxster 2.7 as my first Porsche, bought to do a couple of track days. An easy car to drive fast and superbly balanced and confidence inspiring on the limit, I pushed past that limit and span a couple of times (i push hard) but quickly found a groove.

After buying the 997.2 i went back to the track I had last done in the Boxster. Whilst the lap times were less, obvious really as the 911 was around 180hp more, looking at data capture after the event, the mid corner speed in the Boxster was higher, maybe because I was riding the curbs a little more in the lower valued Boxster but mainly that it was more balanced.

A further year in and a number of extra track days with my 911 and it really is a weapon at the track, but definitely requires a different style, you do need to weight transfer by trail braking to get the best from the 911's, against a lot of what we have always been told with most other cars and what felt natural.
At the end of last year I did a day with Colin at CAT driver training. I originally booked because it was a forum day and the desire to drive the talked about areas at Millbrook, but already being one of the quicker drivers at a track day, didn't expect to learn a great deal. Colin however knew far more about pushing a 911 than I did and adjusted the tuition for my level, he massively increased my mid-corner speed while making me feel more stable at the same time. I also learnt much about where the cars characteristics come from and how to take advantage and make the best of them. Money well spent.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back