Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water trap - base of A-pillar

9xxnick

Spa-Francorchamps
I'd not noticed this before, but there's a depression at the base of the A-pillar which is big enough to hold 30 or 40cc of water. There's a drain-hole, of course, but these can get blocked over time.

You can only see the depression with the door open, and then you'll probably need to aim a torch at the aperture between the door and the based of the pillar.

Might be worth checking to see if yours is flowing freely! I used a length of sheathed copper wire from a twin and earth to poke the drain-hole through, which has resulted in any water flowing out easily.

Pics would be handy please!

This is the area.

The leading edge of the offside door is to the left of the picture. The water sits in the area underneath where the bolt can be seen coming through the panel on the right. It's the slightly brighter area in the photo.

The drain-hole's the curved dark spot at the point of the depression that's closest to the centreline of the car.

The photo's slightly confusing because you can see a reflection of the inner part of the wing in the door skin to the left, but ignore that and focus on the base of the A-pillar area.

Attachments

• a_pillar_water_trap_856.jpg
    a_pillar_water_trap_856.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,034
Hi 9xxnick,

Just went out to my car and opened the door and pointed a torch down between the door and the A pillar. I can see a small drain hole at the bottom as shown in the picture with the black arrow. Is this what you are talking about?

ATB :)

Attachments

• drain_a_frame_107.jpg
    drain_a_frame_107.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,971
Yes, although your drainhole looks to be bigger and in a slightly different position than mine, albeit not by much. It doesn't look like you have anything to worry about there though.

9xxnick said:
Yes, although your drainhole looks to be bigger and in a slightly different position than mine, albeit not by much. It doesn't look like you have anything to worry about there though.

:thumb:

ATB :)

Thanks for the pics folks, will take a look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back