Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone moved to Gallardo or F430

elan

Monza
I am thinking again about moving to something more exotic. Has anyone here done this? I would ideally be looking at the 458 but thinking of keeping the 911 Turbo and getting a Gallardo or F430. I drove a Gallardo recently and especially liked the sound track and the look.

Any advice or experience with either of these cars? I have been doing a bit of research and both look like good cars with similar running cost to the 911 Turbo (obviously less practical).

Thanks in advance.

Yes - I moved from various Porsche models, into an F430 Spider.

It does provide plenty of theatre... more so than I ever encountered in the Porsches. They are great fun to drive, but not as practical. Also don't forget you move to annual servicing rather than every two years.

I bought mine and expected the worst in terms of reliability, but it was pretty much bullet proof. Just be ware they can have an issue with the manifold - google it.

I moved on after a couple of years to various other things, including Cobra, before settling on a California, which is a step on from the 430. Oh and recently also bought a Panamera to go with it, so have the best of both worlds

Thanks siy, how are you finding the California compared to the 430?

The gallardo I tried was with egear but a manual V10 is very tempting. I suspect a manual F430 will be out of my price range.

My F430 was actually a manual. It was great. Click clack through the gears. Can't beat that

The Cali is so much more composed. That sounds bad when I am singing the praises of the 430. I loved the manual. Never liked the F1 gear change though.

The Clai's gearbox and whip crack change when you want it is brutal. But 99/100 drives we are with kids / family and not tearing things up

Both amazing cars. Not taking anything away from the porsche marque. But personally think it just puts a bigger smile on the already smiling face.

Rocknrolla has a lambo and missed his 911 so went out and brought another but kept the lambo as well :grin:

I have been thinking of doing the same thing...

The Lambo, now its V10 is not a reliable lump, and then for the outlay you would get an old car, that feels old and every time I gone in to see one locally, theirs another sitting there needing an engine rebuild. Coincidence Maybe.

So, that leaves the Fezza. Test drove two F430's, one quite extensively. Its very special, noise, sense of occasion, but I just cant make the move from my tuned Turbo, its just so much master. I hung on the tail of an F430 F1 in a V8 M3.

I am not sure or completely sold on the looks of the 430 either, I like to mod cars and the stance and ride height would send me sideways, it does not look good with its sucked in wheels.

The 458 is what I would like (The Cali looks good as well) but they are more money.

So Dunno :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Grass was not greener for me. 8)

Boba fett said:
I have been thinking of doing the same thing...

The Lambo, now its V10 is not a reliable lump, and then for the outlay you would get an old car, that feels old and every time I gone in to see one locally, theirs another sitting there needing an engine rebuild. Coincidence Maybe.

I have been reading up on the reliability of the engine and gearbox and I am hearing the opposite. Apparently the early 2004/2005 cars had some issues that were resolved but the later cars 2006-2008 were reliable, some with high mileage.

I am leaning now towards the 2009 models with the 5.2 engine, which are more modern and faster.

I am not sure on the F430 looks either, the 458 is much prettier. I do think the Gallrado looks great and the sound track :grin:

I originally was going to get a gallardo, but decided on the 997 turbo instead after hearing some scare stories. For me, i would be doing 14,000 miles a year in it and even my local indi said the gallardo wouldnt be ideal for that.

Now ive just had my garage extended and suggestions from my 4 year old lad I should get an "orange car with no roof", im tempted to get a gallardo spyder along side the 997, but looking at the values it seems they have gone up quite a bit since I last looked!

rabbitstew said:
Now ive just had my garage extended and suggestions from my 4 year old lad I should get an "orange car with no roof", im tempted to get a gallardo spyder along side the 997, but looking at the values it seems they have gone up quite a bit since I last looked!

I agree with your son, Orange Gallardo spyder would be awesome.

The 997 Turbo is great and I want to keep mine after spending quite a bit on the car with 9e. The Gallardo is a bit more special IMHO and you don't see many around.

I heard that the cats can be swallowed up by the engine but there is an easy fix. I always wanted a Lambo so maybe I need to do more research and be sensible if the engine is an issue.

Only just seen this thread and all I can say is do it! 430 is a great car and the Gallardo has been way beyond my expectations. I recently took tango on a 9 day tour around Portugal and it was outrageously fast, incredibly popular, and an absolute joy to drive. Likewise my fezza has taken me all the way to Dubrovnik and back without so much as a stutter, so these cars are (or at least can be) every bit as reliable as a Porsche - I've enjoyed roughly a combined 20 thousand miles in both cars, mostly on tours, and had nothing other than regular consumables needed in that time.

Maintenance and running costs are a bit higher, and there's no escaping that they can't compete as a daily practical proposition, but as a tour car or fun day car they are both perfectly suited to the job, and I'd venture to say they make you feel more special, so long as you don't mind the extra attention they'll attract :grin:

My turbo went 18 months ago, and there hasn't been a single moment of regret since - go on, you know it makes sense :thumb:

I went 'all Italian' but ended up with an Alfa 4C :roll:

I rather like it :grin:

I ran an F430 spider as a daily and did 30k miles in it. It was reliable in terms of never letting me down but lets just say it showed it miles by the end with bits of trim falling off and the roof being temprimental. Great experience though but the attention they bring can get tiring but obviously diluted if run as a fun car.

by contrast we have recently chopped in a 488 as it was not as much to drive as my BGTS which I'm currently driving daily. I've never ran a 458 for any real length of time but it probably hits the sweet spot between the two.

I've never been a fan of Lambo after a disasterous experience with an adventador and short lived ownership of a huracan (got fed up of seeing Audi stamped on the parts lol).

If you have never had a ferrari and can afford to dip in its a must do. You will definately enjoy it but you have to own one to know if the experience will be for you long term or not.

ps the the california, my mate picked one up on a 15 plate end of last year, services included and he reckons he can run it for 12-18 months and will cost him c£10k total cost of ownership (based on 5k miles). They are a "nice" car but but to me if your gonna have a ferrari, especially your first it has to be a proper sporty one ;-)

ps or an Alfa, Zingari does not put his money where the sun don't shine :grin:

Thanks for the advice guys. I am leaning towards the Gallardo at the moment and have tried a few. They do feel very special, even the older one I tried.

I am going to try a F430 shortly but not fully sold on its looks. I much prefer the 458 but that will mean selling the 997 Turbo :dont know:

I do think its time for an exotic Italian!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back