Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Talk to me about engine mounts....

Richtw

Monza
How often would you expect to replace them as a wear item? My car has done 50k - wondering whether to replace them just because?

Any experience as to when they need replacing and if you noticed much (if any difference)?

I just replaced my original ones at 95,000 miles. I had noticed one exhaust tip was a bit lower than the other and it transpired that side mount had a crack in the rubber.

I went for the RSS mounts and am very impressed with the difference in driving experience. I use the car daily on bumpy B roads and whilst the ride is slightly firmer, its perfectly fine. The surprising difference is the in-car noise from the engine makes the car sound more throaty which is great fun.

Next time you are in your garage then ask them to have a look .. most of us can see when they have dropped a bit.... low tail pipes and they have dropped a fair bit .

I see plenty of 996 with " rather " worn engine mounts .. very few customers want them done .. my own opinion is if they have dropped then its worth replaceing them.

50K on a 997 seems a little early though .

I only go with Original ones though .. others can say the benifits of aftermarket ones .

When they totally fail you will have a black ink like fluid running down from them .

Thank you :) excellent advice as ever :)

Is there a heads up on the best place for replacement mounts?

I just had one done on the 997.2 under warranty as the exhaust was low on the O/S at 67k miles

I'm an advocate of the RSS mounts, love mine which were fitted a few months ago :D

+1 for the RSS mounts. I have had them fitted for about 6 months and love how they make the rear feel more connected and all of a piece over bumps. The extra noise sounds good too.

i have 964RS mounts on my 997.. you feel a bit more nah at cold start but other than that they are brilliant...

My engine mounts were not shagged, but I replaced them anyway, to better contain the mass of the engine. (Upgraded mounts worked well on my other car). I like the added control. There was some NVH at installation (at idle in neutral and at around 2900rpm) but that's now gone. I think it's a worthwhile mod.

Fitted Rennline mounts to mine last year and love them! Just using the yellow/yellow inserts that are stiffer than standard but no nasty nvh at all, just a more mechanical feel to the whole car. Bought direct from the USA as it worked out cheaper than anywhere else, about £50 cheaper than Design911, who will order them from the states anyway!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back