Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

No cold air from my aircon, any suggestions ?

blanc

Trainee
Hi All

No idea where to begin here. Is there a how to or diy to check the aircon on our cars anywhere online ?

blanc said:
Hi All

No idea where to begin here. Is there a how to or diy to check the aircon on our cars anywhere online ?

I assume yours isn't working? If not take it to kwikfit and ask for a re-gas, if it doesn't fill they won't charge you, they won't tell you where it's leaking but you will know there is an issue.

Does your aircon hiss when you use it? Chances are you need to replace your condensers at the bad end or a regas at the good end

Have you checked the condensors? Are you a DIY type, if so, take of the nose (20 mins and quite straightforward) and have a look, unless you have mesh over the intakes, they will be full of leaves and dirt, vacuum it out and see whether your condensors have any obvious damage, mine were disintegrating at the bottom. They're not difficult (or expensive if you buy pattern parts) to replace and if they are rotten you will have already lost your gas. Several threads here on the topic.

Then fit mesh over the intakes.

First off with the engine idling, press the ac button. You should see a dip in revs then it will pick up again.
If not then chances are it's lost its gas. Most likely if you don't have extra grilles on the front, the rad pockets will be full of rotting leaves etc. Causing the rads to corrode.

If you take the bumper off you will likely see the ac rads have an oily patch over them showing the leak...

Simple diy to replace but would recommend a proper refrigerant tech to vacuum & regas.

Get yourself a pair a UV torch and goggles, wait until it is dark and take a good look around the condensers and the pipes down the side of the car. Particularly the joint just ahead of the drivers side rear wheel. I have had leaks there and damaged condensers. I have had kwik fit and the like refill my system only to have it empty again in a week or so. In my experience I have never ever had a system which has simply run out of gas without a leak.

MC

I am mid trying to fix my air con too. Have had bumper off and visually the rads look fine, not rotten or any visual damage (hovered out behind and put back) the pump cuts in ok (change in revs etc) kwikfit did the regas today and their machine said system has no leaks (holds pressure etc) but at the end was not really any colder so didn't have to pay, not sure where next. I noticed while they regased it, car wasn't running so assume the leak is only present when running, does this point to an area to check next?

FZP said:
Does your aircon hiss when you use it? Chances are you need to replace your condensers at the bad end or a regas at the good end

Yeah mine hisses all the time then gets better and a min or so, flipping annoying so I end up turning it off

OP before you start pulling the car apart go to Kwik-Fit for £49 (or thereabouts)

Even if they gas it and it stops working after a week or so indicating a leak that they didn't detect you'll get your money back :thumb:

It's a no brainer although the funniest sight was when I took the 964 in and the 'technician' lifted the bonnet expecting to find the engine :floor:

@ Tobyone .. the noise is due to low gass .. a smallish leak .. lets say 950 full .. noisy about 750 - 400 .. then pretty quiet as it stops working :)

Not actual figures .. my guesstimate !

pipes at the o/s/r in front of the wheel im thinking .. or have a look at the condensors .. small black oily spots are leaks but usually minor.

You will also loose a certain amount of gass per year as standard .. 10% i think .. might be a bit higher .

@ Mikey P

Theres more than gass to stop an a/c from operateing im afraid ..

you need to have a garage or your good self put a tester on it and look at actual values for the a/c sensors ..

i suspect you have an internal temp sensor fault .

ie .. if the sensor says the car is at - 10 then its not going to blow cold air as it thinks the car is cold enough already !

Like wise the outside temp sensor .

A/c leaks are there engine running or not .. the high side will have 10 bar plus so the main area for leaks but if operateing the low side will have 2 bar .. higher if its not so you will still get leaks .

Ie after a regass then both are at 5 bar .. when operateing you get 10 bar plus high side and 2 bar lowside.

While looking for leaks I'd also check the Schrader valves.
When I took the plastic cover off one of mine I heard a 'Psst' as there was pressure behind the dust cap, thinks hmm? Confirmed by a green dye in the valve.

I changed both valves as well as the condensers and dryer before getting my local garage to refill for £35.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back